The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I don't mean to start a rant here, but since the basketball season in my area is virtually over, I thought I'd might like to share some of the experiences I've had over the past year.

This year I had a lot more high level games than I had last year, but with the higher level of basketball, comes the higher level of coach idiocy. All the altercations I've had with coaches over the past year have really got me thinking if I want to take this abuse again. But one official whom I was working with made this comment, he doesn't like the fact that you're in control when your half his age. I thought this to be an interesting comment, and it made sense. I call what I see, I don't favour one team over the other. I've been told that I can go far.

My question is aimed at younger officials, or those who started when they were younger, i.e. high school aged.

Of all the complaints recieved from coaches, how many do you think were based on age??

Also, has this caused anyone to hang up the stripes for a few years, and let the aging process do some work before stepping back on the court??
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 08:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

I did not start very young, but I was doing varsity games in my early 20s. I know I was tested by coaches when others were not. And even now I am in my 30s, I am still much younger than many coaches and get challenged at times. But that comes with the territory. I would not worry about it. Just understand that is something you will have to deal with from time to time and when you get around the same age of the coaches and other adults involved in the game, things will change.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 14, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
I've got the opposite problem. I'm 47 and older than many of the coaches. It can really grate on me when some young punk that hasn't read the rule book gets in my face about the application of the rules. I just wanna hit'em with my cane.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

1. Know what you are doing, and do it well.

2. Do it with confidence, but not arrogance.

3. Never let them know that you know they are baiting you (never let it seem personal).

If you come across as competent and professional, especially if they try to get under your skin, it will usually stop. Sure, some coaches are always trying to get an edge and will never change. But many may just think that you look too young to be able to do the job. For the latter group, it's like anything else in life. Show you can do it without seeming like a young know-it-all and they will quickly forget your age and begin regarding you as any other official. And if you master this on the court, you will be successful in other areas of life.

Being young and good doesn't really suck - it puts you ahead of everybody else who got to where you are a little later. If you get really good at what you do, it gives you more opportunities to advance because you have more time to advance. When you get to the age tha they would look at you for a college official, you will have much more experience than the average ref your age.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
I've got the opposite problem. I'm 47 and older than many of the coaches. It can really grate on me when some young punk that hasn't read the rule book gets in my face about the application of the rules. I just wanna hit'em with my cane.
I'm with you on this one. I'm 60 and if I want to hit them, I have to have someone hold my walker for me.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 08:40am
If you need me, text me!

Ref18,

I still at 27 (5th year of HS varsity) get abused constantly about being young (especially since I look closer to 22). It seems to come with the territory when you start this avocation at an early age. After a coach sees you a couple of times and realizes you can do the job, he'll back off.

Some coaches tend to test officials of all ages and abilities especially when their is something to use to test them (being young, old, overweight, short, wear glasses, etc). As hard as it can be at times, we have to let it roll off our backs and work the game the best that we can. Problems can arise if you take a "Hey, does he go to school here" type comment and T someone up. Then they know they got in your head and you can be rattled.

The key is to be the best you can be. Look the part and work hard. I would never suggest hanging up the stripes for a few years, just to look older. There's only a finite number of games/years you will be able to work and I would never suggest missing some just because you are young.

OCReferee
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I don't mean to start a rant here, but since the basketball season in my area is virtually over, I thought I'd might like to share some of the experiences I've had over the past year.

This year I had a lot more high level games than I had last year, but with the higher level of basketball, comes the higher level of coach idiocy. All the altercations I've had with coaches over the past year have really got me thinking if I want to take this abuse again. But one official whom I was working with made this comment, he doesn't like the fact that you're in control when your half his age. I thought this to be an interesting comment, and it made sense. I call what I see, I don't favour one team over the other. I've been told that I can go far.

My question is aimed at younger officials, or those who started when they were younger, i.e. high school aged.

Of all the complaints recieved from coaches, how many do you think were based on age??

Also, has this caused anyone to hang up the stripes for a few years, and let the aging process do some work before stepping back on the court??
You can do a great job, if you work at it. I suggest getting some video tape of yourself and looking for physical things you could do to add some presence. Perhaps wear your hair differently, or change your posture a little, adjust the look on your face. Whatever. Get an adult to make suggestions. Work on your voice. As someone else said, be confident not arrogant. Think to yourself, "I'm in a D1/pro training path. I may not be there yet, but I'm headed in that direction. I can give these teams today a great game, and they'll see that I'm quite capable." Find ways to give your partners faith in you, and trust in you. Keep taping games so you can see your improvement, and discover new things that need work.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 09:30am
In Memoriam

Unhappy

Those young'uns are breaking my heart!

Enjoy the journey, fellas.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I did what you have asked about. I started when I was 14 working our local church leagues. I got my drivers license on the day of my first "real" scheduled softball game. I worked HS baseball while still attending HS (the only restriction was I couldn't work games in my school's region). I started working city league basketball. I even got my first varsity football assignment (but sadly was in a car wreck on the way there). Then at 19 I took a couple of years off and came back. Then packed it in entirely once I got into my career. Now, at age 36, I'm back. I WISH I HAD NOT PACKED IT IN ALL THOSE YEARS AGO.

There will always be things that coaches will dislike about officials: height, weight, age, gender, attitude, reputation, style, mannerisms, etc. etc. etc. Fortunately youthfulness will fix itself. Hang in there. As near as I can tell, the problem isn't that they think you're too young to be a good official...the problem is that they see your age and assume that you're not mature/professional/experienced/etc. enough to do a good job. That's a perception you CAN overcome.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

2 words - Be professional.

I started in this business at 18 and there were plenty of good officials back then. Ways to earn respect and stick out:

1 - Show up early and be dressed better than anybody in the gym. When coaches, ADs, and yes, even fans see you looking sharp, the image is presented that this person cares about what they are doing.

2 - Look sharp and confident on the court, but not cocky. An up to date uniform, shined shoes, and good mechanics buy you a little more respect. By the book mechanics are good, but it helps to sprinkle some "selling the call" mechanics on the big ones as long as you don't have anal supervisors/evaluators.

3 - Communicate. Learn your coaches. Most of them want to talk to you during the game, particularly when you're in the C slot in fromt of them. Know which ones like to joke around. Know which ones like quick, concise, professional answers. And know which ones just want you to listen and not talk back. Let them feel comfortable with you. I want them to use my first name (although some will frown on this, too.) When you're young, you'll get worked...no doubt about it. Don't be offended and take it as good fun. It's a test of your personality skills. When coaches cross the line to earn the "T" (and they will), make sure that line is at the end of a distance race, not a sprint.

4 - Learn to ignore the lunatics in the stands and on the benches. Some people will never get it, some were never taught common courtesy, and some use sports as an outlet for rage that they think they couldn't get away with in any other aspect of life. If you're a good official, those people will be in the minority and the great fun, challenge, and camaraderie will more than offset the occasional loser you'll deal with over the years.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

How old are you and what level are you reffing?
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, thanks for all the suggestions, I'm 17 years old, 3 years of reffing behind me. I work a lot of the rep ball in my area. I've only reffed one game with players who are older than grade 8. In the beginning of the season I saw quite a bit of rec-leauge. I think I did just over 200 games this year.

I've invested quite a bit into my appearance, (patent leather shoes, beltless pants, etc).

The main thing that has me looking back on the season negatively is that I hear that my name is flying around the association in a negative way, because of the way I deal with coaches. This has me looking back on all the altercations I've had over the season, and I think that I've handled them all well and according to the rules, but I'm trying to figure out whether I'm calling too much, or the other people aren't calling enough.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

I do not want to sound too mean here...
I have officiated a long time. A lot with young partners, alot with old ones, and alot my age. I have a 21 year old son who has officiated, he officiated long before he ever joined the Army and long before he ever went to some forsaken place known as Afghanistan. I have seen him in action, I have seen his how he interacts. I have never been to one of your basketball games so I have never seen you, but you think you handled the situation well and within the rules... My question is what did your partners think? not what you thought. You may have a perception of yourself but others see you in a different light

Generally (I have 20 plus years work experience in state, private, law, and military settings) a person like you describe does not have great experience, background, maturity, or communication skills. The coaches know that you are no different than their players or their own kids...

Here is a key insight to what you said... "looking back on all the altercations..."

I will whack a coach or a player almost as fast as anyone if they cross the line, but I dont have altercations. 8th grade coaches are the worst particularly volunteers away from school. Have I argued with them?yep! Have I told them off? yep! Have I told a few to sit down and shut up? yep! but over the past few years I have learned that skill and as a old Kenny Rogers song goes... I know when to hold em, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, and know when to run. I never count the money while sitting at the table...

I

A third year official barely understands the game let alone knows the nuances of the game enough to understand many times what a coach wants or needs, when to talk to him, when to shut up, or when to whack him...

-if you had marginal situations that you did not seek a senior officials' advice...
-if you acted rashly, quickly...
-if you should have backed off but did not...
-if you were always right...
-if you argued rules with a senior official (particularly if you were wrong)
-if you argued with a coach and told him he was wrong.

it make be a maturity, judgement, people skills type of thing...

Go find a n offical in your association who has seen you work that you trust who also is in the know about rumors perceptions, etc. THEN ASK, but you must be ready for what he/she will tell you. LISTEN Only, no yes, buts... no justifications, no let me explain my sides just listen and say thanks. Then analyze what he or she said, do it a couple of times you'll get a better perspective than thinking you did a good job.

The introspective look is tough and it may not be what you really want to hear, but you will really want to hear it if you are to succeed

Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I'm 17. 4th (going on 5) year official much like you I did the church leauges and rec leagues until this past season. As a 16 year old I was working Middle School, and High School Freshman, and because my assignors, mentors, and association board members believed in me I got some very high level Freshman games and quite a few JV games a school that has some really goood ball games but no-one else like to really drive out too. (BBall_Junkie knows what I'm talking about). NEVER let anyone in the gym but your partner know how old you are. Be proffesional on and OFF the court. I actually officiated within the school district I attend and heres how I was able to do that. I am new to this area, I do not read the sports section I know not who my schools rivals are for basketball, or any of that stuff. I called a HUGE game and didnt even know it till one of the varsity officials made a deal about me gettning that game. I'm going to a DII/DIII college camp this summer to pick up my 3-person certification (required for varsity in my association) Wont get to use it much if at all this season but still, nice to have. Because we're young we have to be on the ball. Apperance really goes a long way. Showing up 5 min before my parter and walking in with a rolling bag goes a long way, more than most people realize. You can do it. I've done it. Theres an NBA referee whos got an 18 year old son who had quite a bit of varsity games this season. I think one of Brad's guys did an artcile on him.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
1. Know what you are doing, and do it well.

2. Do it with confidence, but not arrogance.

3. Never let them know that you know they are baiting you (never let it seem personal).

If you come across as competent and professional, especially if they try to get under your skin, it will usually stop.
That's just really great advice for any official, regardless of age.