The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Orangeguy06
Hello. I'm new to the boards and officiating. Right now I'm a sophmore (20 years old) at the University of Minnesota. I've been pretty much a year round wrestler and avid football watcher since I was young. I was a referee for the wrestling youth league back home but that wasn't anything serious. However, lately I've found myself thinking about becoming an official for football games and possibly wrestling matches...alot. I've done some reading and it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to start at the local high school ranks, and from what I've read sounds as enjoyable as I've envisioned it to be.

My question to you more experienced guys is this. Am I too young to try my hand at officiating high school sports? I know both the sports well, willing to learn and am an intelligent guy. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have to offer.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Absolutely not! It's a great time to start.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Orangeguy06
Hello. I'm new to the boards and officiating. Right now I'm a sophmore (20 years old) at the University of Minnesota. I've been pretty much a year round wrestler and avid football watcher since I was young. I was a referee for the wrestling youth league back home but that wasn't anything serious. However, lately I've found myself thinking about becoming an official for football games and possibly wrestling matches...alot. I've done some reading and it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to start at the local high school ranks, and from what I've read sounds as enjoyable as I've envisioned it to be.

My question to you more experienced guys is this. Am I too young to try my hand at officiating high school sports? I know both the sports well, willing to learn and am an intelligent guy. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have to offer.
I would kill to have started at 20!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Agree with Jim S, go for it!

Perhaps some Minnesotans on this board could give you some info? Otherwise, go here: http://start.officiating.com/

Edit: This could be a good link, guess you've seen it:
http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/sofficials/newofficials.asp
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Orangeguy,
I grew up in Roseville and started officiating at 16. Started doing baseball and then at 19 began working football. So no, you're not to young.
As for how things work up there, I'm not quite sure. I worked for an officials association, Metro Officials, and they were mainly a baseball and softball association. They did work football and basketball, but mainly underclass stuff. I'm not sure how much varsity football they get. Give them a try it you like. Send me an email or private message and I can give you his number. I know there are other associations that work more football, Gopher did from what I remember. Call a local HS and ask for their activities director. Ask them where they hire their football officials from. Call a few. That way you can get a good idea if there is one association that might be better than another.

Now, as far as learning about officiating, you came the right spot. I just completed my 9th year, and honestly, my rules knowledge and mechanics knowledge prior to this year sucked. I've learned so much in just the last few months here it is amazing. Plus it is a great way to bounce plays off other people, get to know other officials, and congratulate each other's successes. It's kind of like the post-game stop at the bar, without the beer or pop.

Last, check out my resource page. There are many great files there to help you get started. Some are a little outdated and may not help you directly, but it will give you a decent idea as to what is going on. If you take some time between now and next fall, you will be way ahead of any other rookie officials.

Good luck and welcome to the group!
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

OrangeGuy, go to http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/index.asp to get all the information you need for registering in Minnesota.

I too wish I would have started at age 20.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Work every subvarsity game you can find from the 8th grade on up. The more of those games you can work the better as those games usually provide a lot of penalties and oddball situations which will help to expand your experiences. Good Luck.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: To echo what everyone else has said, absolutely get started now. I started when I was about 27. Wished I had started earlier. I know one guy who started when he was 16 and now at age 30 he's officiating in the NFL-Europe. But I better be careful. I know he's watching...
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Johnny Grier told me that he did his first college game when he was 17. He was just in the right place at the right time and had his gear. You see where he is now.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: To echo what everyone else has said, absolutely get started now. I started when I was about 27. Wished I had started earlier. I know one guy who started when he was 16 and now at age 30 he's officiating in the NFL-Europe. But I better be careful. I know he's watching...
He looks older than 30. OUCH.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

As other's have echoed 20 is a great age to start. You have tons of potential to go up to higher ranks just because of your age. If you work hard and do what it takes you can certainly go places. Everyone has provided the necessary information so I'll shutup now.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

I started at age 19 and next year will be my 5th year. This is the absolute best "hobby"/"part-time career" I could ever imagine. I got lucky and was asked to be the full-time umpire on a very experienced crew my second year. It really is about who you know and the connections you make, so if you get the chance introduce yourself to everybody....don't underestimate the importance of networking!!

Being a young official can be challenging because people either assume you don't know the rules well or don't trust you because of inexperience. I would say it is more challenging to start at this young of age, rather than somebody starting at age 30 or so, because of that reason. All you can do is prove yourself game after game and the respect will come from other officials---this really applies to people of all ages!

For rule knowledge start with Rule 2 and read the definitions over and over. Then get into the other rules and read these forums for situations and philosophy stuff almost daily. Doing this has helped me so much. Best of luck!
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Start now. I was lucky, I took an officiating class my freshman year in college, earning my state basketball license. Then I added baseball and softball. Then football and volleyball. Then wrestling. I've been primarily softball for a couple years now (but still do some football and basketball when asked) but I'm glad I started when I was 19. I've been doing it for 14 years now, and wouldn't have changed it for the world.

And besides, it's a decent "supplementary" income for a college student.