The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Cool young officials

in anyones experince have coaches been harder on younger officials then on older officials that have about the same amount of training. And do u think that coach r tring to take advantage of younger officials just becsuse they think they could intimidate them?

[Edited by babyref on Mar 11th, 2004 at 07:50 PM]
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Depends on the coach

I'm assuming that the youngest officials are still working their way up the ladder, running games in lower level leagues and gaining experience in the process. Good coaches usually will cut a new official, especially if they are young, some slack.

Lousy coaches may try to intimidate a young official. But those types of coaches are usually the same loudmouths trying to work the veteran officials as well, usually to no avail.

[Edited by PGCougar on Mar 9th, 2004 at 08:52 PM]
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed, age won't matter for a coach if he's never seen you before. And he will especially press on you if you're young. Just set the tone early and let them know that you're not going to put up with it either.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I never had any problems this past season. I had a few coaches ask how old I was and my answer was, Does it really matter? One coach picked up on the fact that I was younger and he tried to use it to get to me late in a game. Best thing is to ignore it and let your work on the floor speak for you. The younger you are the better you have to look mechanics and apperance wise. I never showed up for a game dressed this season and I always made sure I was well dressed and groomed. If you look the part they'll just assume you are the part. I'm 17. Everyone says i referee like ime 27. Goto camps and make be on top of your game and age will never be a factor.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

In my area there are no camps for official in the league i ref 4. also the are very few official due to the verbal abuse coaches/parents give official. most ref in my area are between 12-25 officating game that are well above the level some ref are ready for is there any advice that could help me in to better my mechanices and court positions
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by babyref
In my area there are no camps for official in the league i ref 4. also the are very few official due to the verbal abuse coaches/parents give official. most ref in my area are between 12-25 officating game that are well above the level some ref are ready for is there any advice that could help me in to better my mechanices and court positions
Buy the official's manual from the NFHS. Watch experience officials work and ask them questions. Find a mentor. Come here and ask questions. Good luck and have fun!
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by babyref
Where is your area? Perhaps there's someone here who could help you find some help.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Agreed, age won't matter for a coach if he's never seen you before. And he will especially press on you if you're young.
Your 2 statements seem to contradict each other.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Bah, what I meant is wether your old or not won't matter when you're new. Somthin like that.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I think it all depends on how you carry yourself. A properly dressed official, that is confident in his calls, speaks clearly and most importantly knows the rules will get alot of respect young or old. The problem that arises is young officials are typically new and tend not to show these characteristics. I'm only 21, but I grew up with parents that stressed the importance of always doing your best and respecting your job no matter what you are doing. There alot of young officials that come to games sloppily dressed, don't speak clearly, and despite a good solid knowledge of the rules they just aren't confident enough, because they are new. Alot of coaches jump all over those kids because they see them as easy targets as well as having no respect for the game. Do I think they do it on purpose??? Probably not. In most cases it subconscious, or so I think.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Some coaches will try to intimidate you somehow. Once they notice that it won't help them they'll stop. I've been there quite a lot of times, since this is my 5th year of refereeing and I'm still only 19 yrs old now... Just do a good job and age won't matter.

ADR
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

babyref, is english your first language?
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't been around for a few days, but i'll answer the question.

YES!!!!!

I started officiating at 14. I started with my dad, the coaches would accept my dad's calls more then they would accept my calls, and my calls were by far better.

And no, i wasn't sloppily dressed, i had a clean shirt, beltless pants, and shiny shoes. I blew my whistle with confidence and made clear and direct calls.

I once had a coach after a call he didn't like ask me how old i was. I didn't answer the question but i believe it warranted a T, so he got one.

Basically you're gonna have to deal with this kind of bullsh!t for a few years, then grow a beard or some other form of facial hair, it adds years to your look.

Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
grow a beard or some other form of facial hair, it adds years to your look.

Back when I was in high school, I was umpiring high school baseball. Growing a mustache did wonders for my credability by making me look older. However, we've had the discussion at least once around here about facial hair on basketball referees. It seemed to be one of those regionally accepted/not-accepted things. You might want to ask around to see if it would be a problem in your area. If not, I recommend it. If so, you may want to weigh the pros and cons and maybe still do it.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Let me put it this way, most of the successful refs in my association have a mustache. And I would love to grow one, but I'm 17 and still in high school, and a mustache certainly isn't something everyone is doing. Maybe i'll grow a goutee.

[Edited by ref18 on Mar 10th, 2004 at 07:47 PM]