The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Wrestling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Orangeguy06
I posted this in the football forums also but thought I would try my luck here as well. Doesn't look like this is a very active forum but I always value the advice of someone involved in wrestling.

Hello. I'm new to the boards and officiating. Right now I'm a sophmore (20 years old) at the University of Minnesota. I've been pretty much a year round wrestler and avid football watcher since I was young. I was a referee for the wrestling youth league back home but that wasn't anything serious. However, lately I've found myself thinking about becoming an official for football games and possibly wrestling matches...alot. I've done some reading and it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to start at the local high school ranks, and from what I've read sounds as enjoyable as I've envisioned it to be.

My question to you more experienced guys is this. Am I too young to try my hand at officiating high school sports? I know both the sports well, willing to learn and am an intelligent guy. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have to offer.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

If you are not in high school you are not too young to officiate high school events. the younger you start, the more realistic your chances of advancing to the highest levels( with the necc. hard work).
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Never too young

You are probably at the perfect age to get started.
Check with a few local officials to ask about classes. You will need to take those and then the test to become state certified. Without the certification, you will NOT be able to do any Jr. Hi. or High School contests. Once certified, you will need to network with your association ( you should most certainly join at least one ), so the other officials will get to know you. You will probably only get Jr. Hi. assignments to start with until you get your feet wet under fire. As you progress, you will be assigned freshman, and junior varsity matches/games.
Be aware there may be some politics involved in some associations. The guys who have been around the longest, will get the best paying, premier events. That is to be expected. You will get the leftovers until you are better known. But it is very rewarding and you ARE needed. I recommend you attend a few events, introduce yourself to some officials, and let them guide you. Make a few friends and use them for advice and training. Ask to work as an assistant in a few matches ( after you are certified ) without pay and watch first hand. Also ask if you can shadow a few officials ( again without pay ) as they go thru their pre-match routine and event proceedings. I learned alot just from watching and taking notes. I am in my third year and only getting a few varsity matches. But I am having a ball. I, too, wrestled AND coached. I find this perspective of the sport fantastic. It is my way of giving back to a sport that gave me college and life experiences. Don't wait any longer.
Go for it! ! ! !
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 12, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

My son started officiating wrestling in his freshman year of college. He, too officiated for youth contests while in high school, and decided to become credentialed once he graduated.

We live in a college town and usually have 1-2 certified refs we can call on who attend college.

You are not too young! Go ahead, and good luck to you!