The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Ncaa Blarge?

Did any one on this net happen to watch the Montana-Wyoming game and see the Blarge call? 30 seconds to go, Montana down by 3 defending. From the radio play by play it was an apparent double foul with trail calling an offensive foul on the driving Wyoming player and lead calling a block. Wyoming ball at POI. Turned out to not be a game decider as Wyoming turned it over on next possession but it sure was a play you don't hear/see too often.

In college do the officials immediately go to what they see or do they delay their call waiting for the official for whom the play is coming toward to make his call?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

They go to what they see, evidently without looking at their partner. Same thing happened in the Carolina-Winthrop game tonight.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
They go to what they see, evidently without looking at their partner. Same thing happened in the Carolina-Winthrop game tonight.
In NCAA-W there can't be a blarge, the two officials get together and make ONE call. I think the NCAA-M should consider doing the same.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

I think in practice, 98% of the time at the D1 level, they are aware of the 2nd whistle but the official whose primary the play is in generally will take it without much conversation other then "I got it".
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 08:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
In NCAA-W there can't be a blarge, the two officials get together and make ONE call. I think the NCAA-M should consider doing the same.
I agree. This is one difference where the women's rule is better than the men's rule.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up

The other way to simplify the matter is no preliminary signals. This is what gets everyone in trouble. If we simply just blow and wait to see who's area it is in and then yield to the official whos primary it is in, we would be okay. Just my 2 cents.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
The other way to simplify the matter is no preliminary signals. This is what gets everyone in trouble. If we simply just blow and wait to see who's area it is in and then yield to the official whos primary it is in, we would be okay. Just my 2 cents.
You mean, raise your fist and make eye contact? What a very basic thought!

Wonder why those that are supposed to be the best don't follow this basic fundamental?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
You mean, raise your fist and make eye contact? What a very basic thought!

Wonder why those that are supposed to be the best don't follow this basic fundamental?
Inquiring minds would love to know!!!!!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone else think the number of blarges is rising? Last season I remember a week when I saw at least 3 on television games. I watched a NAIA varsity game the other night (I worked the JV before hand) and saw the L and T come out with PC mechanics right away on 2 plays. Luckily they both saw it the same way. I agree that the women have it right. With good mechanics, a blarge should not happen in my opinion.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

I think the one problem we have is that we really want to sell that block/charge call and sometimes we get quick with our mechanics (human nature) with this call.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Most of the time the call is coming from trail or center to lead. That being said its real hard for lead to lay off the call or even hold off giving the prelim. We pre game just that. If the play is coming from C or T then lets just asssumee that L is going to sell the call first. If C or T has a whistle then hold off on giving a prelim. for a split second.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:19am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Most of the time the call is coming from trail or center to lead. That being said its real hard for lead to lay off the call or even hold off giving the prelim. We pre game just that. If the play is coming from C or T then lets just asssumee that L is going to sell the call first. If C or T has a whistle then hold off on giving a prelim. for a split second.
Unless the Lead is calling across the paint, right Tomegun?
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:01am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
I honestly believe that this is the main reason why there are fewer problems with this issue on the NCAA-W side...we preach, teach, and pound into each other that it is the LEAD who should hold off on these whistles...let the T or the C take it all the way to the hoop. On the NCAA-M side, the Lead jumps all over these calls and that's why (only IMO) they end up with blarges.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

it does happen a lot because the play is coming from the T or C most of the time and they have seen the WHOLE PLAY and then the L comes over quick and has to try and make the call, instead of giving it to the one that has seen the play the whole time! I agree with the NCAA-W on this one...get together and talk about it, come out with one call!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

There was also a Blarge in the the 2nd half of the Winthrop/UNC game last night. Tom Lopes at lead, Bernard Clinton at trail.

This is one where the women have it right, the double foul/POI solution is a mess and looks ridiculous.