Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Art. 13. A player who legally enters the game during a dead ball may leave
the game during that same dead-ball period without penalty.
Ok, I see your point. My reference wasn't the ONLY rule to discuss coming BACK into or out of the game.

But Art. 13 doesn't apply, because it's not the same dead-ball period. He shot two free throws before being subbed out again.

Last edited by Scrapper1; Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 10:38am.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

So you're writing the CABO CIS Men's Exam are you? I have my copy as well. Pick up a rule book instead letting someone else to the work for you.

J
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:09am
MABO Member

I will have to dissagree with you again Scrapper. Hey your living up to your name....LOL

The clock has not started again, therefore still the same dead ball period.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The clock status (running / not running) and the ball status (live / dead) are two completely different things. You can have either one without the other. Further, neither affects the play in question.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:17am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The clock status (running / not running) and the ball status (live / dead) are two completely different things. You can have either one without the other. Further, neither affects the play in question.
True, symantics being everything, I stand corrected. And your position to this would be what Bob / anyone else who has ositioned themselves as enlightened individuals on this board. Not being rude just wondering why not many others have input yet.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:19am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Just to add on to what Bob J said. The ball becomes live when the free throw shooter gets it for the first free throw. The ball becomes dead after the first free throw. It becomes live again when he receives it for the second free throw and becomes dead again after the second free throw. So we actually have 2 live/dead cycles during the stopped-clock interval in question.

But as bob also said, it doesn't really matter for the question. Does 3-4-12 prohibit A6 from exiting the game? That's the question. Is there any rule that prohibits A6 from exiting the game? Maybe that's a better question.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:25am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Just to add on to what Bob J said. The ball becomes live when the free throw shooter gets it for the first free throw. The ball becomes dead after the first free throw. It becomes live again when he receives it for the second free throw and becomes dead again after the second free throw. So we actually have 2 live/dead cycles during the stopped-clock interval in question.

But as bob also said, it doesn't really matter for the question. Does 3-4-12 prohibit A6 from exiting the game? That's the question. Is there any rule that prohibits A6 from exiting the game? Maybe that's a better question.
Reference?

Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:26am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Reference?
For what, Smoke? I'm not understanding your question.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:28am
MABO Member

For ball becoming live on Technical Free throws. I can find references for when it does or does not become dead. Nothing about it becoming live on Free throws. I may be missing something here.

nvm, i found it. 6-1-4

Last edited by SmokeEater; Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 11:31am.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:30am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
For ball becoming live on Technical Free throws. I can find references for when it does or does not become dead. Nothing about it becoming live on Free throws. I may be missing something here.
NCAA 6-1-4c. NFHS 6-2c.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, symantics being everything, I stand corrected. And your position to this would be what Bob
I guess I thought the question had been reasonably clearly answered. A player can leave the game at almost any time. There are no "the clock must run" restrictions on this (as there are on an individual entering the game).
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:25pm
MABO Member

Thank You, I agree totally.

Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

ans

In the rules you talk of, any one can shoot technicals
In 2, the answer is no but a warning is given
in 3 yes
in 4 no
in 8 no because he entered the court already