The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

1. Is the US flag required on striped shirt for High School Federation.

2. I know in NCAA Womens. the lower lane spaces on each side are not used for free throws. We have a new official from Texas who tells me its the same for Federation. (Can't find that one!!!)

Thanks
Jeff
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Officals uniform are dictatd by your state and local association policies.

2. I know in NCAA Womens. the lower lane spaces on each side are not used for free throws. We have a new official from Texas who tells me its the same for Federation. (Can't find that one!!!)

I have not seen any changes to the way players line up in the lane for the Fed.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricejock

Thanks
Jeff
In Iowa, we have both a girls association and a boys association. Among other variations, the girls will not use the lower lane places for free throws. This is the first year for that.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2002, 06:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Oh well.

Quote:

Not at all. In most cases this is a personal choice all together. And considering that the American Flag means different things to different people, if associations try to make this a requirement, they might find themselves in litigation.

Quote:

Only the NCAA Women's level uses this rule. Every other code allows this lower block to be used. Of course there are some variations "how" it is used, but NF and NCAA Men's are much more similar to each other. NCAA Women's seems to be intent on making their game completely different from the other levels for some reason. I guess that is why you do not see Officials doing both Men's and Women's NCAA.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 06, 2002, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

The flag issue is unclear to me, though our association encourages the use of it.

As for the lower lane space issue, Florida is an "experimental" state with this mechanic from women's NCAA for this next season.

I have worked quite a few camp game where it was used and I am seriously in favor of its incorporation into Fed rules.
We got a lot more playable rebounds instead of beating and banging under the boards and in my opinion, a quicker game.

Old Sun Oct 06, 2002, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
As for the lower lane space issue, Florida is an "experimental" state with this mechanic from women's NCAA for this next season.
I think it's also an experiment in NCAA Men's games.