Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:35pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIump50
I apologize for making this confusing.

I'd like to know if the NFHS answer key is wrong or if the case book is wrong.

Q 75 specifically says the throw in is after a basket and B has end line privileges. On the throw in A intentionally kicks ball. When B throws in after this violation it will be a spot throw in. T or F

The answer key says false. Therefore the throw in will be behind the end line and B will retain end line privileges.

Case book 7-5.7 Situation B gives this exact scenario.
In scenario (a) the kick is close to B on the end line and in (b) the kick is near the division line.
Ruling according to the case book:
(a) B gets throw in behind end line with privileges
(b) B gets throw in at division line Spot throw in

If the case book is correct then Q75 cannot be answered correctly. The Q does not indicate where the ball was kicked.

Bad question or incorrect ruling in case book?
Neither, like Tony said, you are thinking about it way too much. They are trying to get across that you don't lose the right to run the endline following a violation. That's all. You are right, in the question it doesn't exactly tell you where the violation occured. But that's obviously not the point they are trying to get across or they would of said the violation occurred at the top of the key or at the division line, etc. The point they are trying to make is that you don't lose the right to run the endline following a violation.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Neither. Since the question says that it *will* be a spot throw-in, and there are times when it is not a spot throw in, the question is False -- which is what the answer key has
That is the correct reasoning. Both the NFHS answer key and the case book are correct.
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 03:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIump50
I apologize for making this confusing.

I'd like to know if the NFHS answer key is wrong or if the case book is wrong.

Q 75 specifically says the throw in is after a basket and B has end line privileges. On the throw in A intentionally kicks ball. When B throws in after this violation it will be a spot throw in. T or F

The answer key says false. Therefore the throw in will be behind the end line and B will retain end line privileges.

Case book 7-5.7 Situation B gives this exact scenario.
In scenario (a) the kick is close to B on the end line and in (b) the kick is near the division line.
Ruling according to the case book:
(a) B gets throw in behind end line with privileges
(b) B gets throw in at division line Spot throw in

If the case book is correct then Q75 cannot be answered correctly. The Q does not indicate where the ball was kicked.

Bad question or incorrect ruling in case book?
Are you concerned about knowing the rule or only with getting the question right on the test?

JMO, but you should quit worrying about the test question and instead study the case play so that you can apply the rule correctly should the scenario occur in one of your games.
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

NIump,
You're making this question way harder than it is. Just assume the violation happened on the end line -- where this scenario would most likely have happened. They retain the right to run the endline. Anywhere else they never had the right to begin with.
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
NIump,
You're making this question way harder than it is. Just assume the violation happened on the end line -- where this scenario would most likely have happened. They retain the right to run the endline. Anywhere else they never had the right to begin with.
C'mon Rev, I get kicking violations at the division line on baseline throw-ins all the time!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Nov 11, 2006 at 03:27pm.
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Generalizations are standard testing devices to see if you are paying attention and how thoroughly you know the material. The most common issue I've seen on these tests is what the penalty is and how is it administered.

If the question says "will" or "always" or "never" or any other generalization, be careful. Part of the answer might be correct some of the time, but not always, so double check the penalty portion for exceptions.