The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 01:26pm
I Bleed Crimson

Nfhs Fg

I just wanted to clear something up. I think we did it right, but we wanted to be sure.

JV game, about 3 minutes left in the first half, 4th and 10 from B's 40. A lines up for a FG (just about impossible for this team--they need 3 schools to put together an 11 man team, and only have about 18 suited). The kick is _way_ short, and the ball comes to a rest about the 12 yard line. B never had a deep guy, and A never went down to cover the ball.

We marked it 1st and 10 for B from B's 12. B's coach asked why it didn't go back to the previous spot and we told him it was treated like any other scrimmage kick, and that he could have returned it. He asked "then why don't we always go for a FG instead of punting?" Our LJ shrugged and suggested that it might be an issue of distance and reliability of getting the kick off.

It was about my 3rd game as a WH ever (been a wing for about 9 years).
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

nhf fg

Sounds good to me. A field goal is nothing more than a scrimmage kick that can score points. If the ball goes dead at the 6" line, that is where we are going. What I don't have an answer for is the coach that asks "why don't we try a field goal every time we want to punt." Otherwise, you nailed it.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy
He asked "then why don't we always go for a FG instead of punting?" Our LJ shrugged and suggested that it might be an issue of distance and reliability of getting the kick off.
REPLY You were correct in your ruling. Another reason might be the low trajectory of a place kick and the increased chance of having it blocked even some distance in front of the kick. How many times have you seen a try/FG kicked into the faces of rushing linemen?
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY You were correct in your ruling. Another reason might be the low trajectory of a place kick and the increased chance of having it blocked even some distance in front of the kick. How many times have you seen a try/FG kicked into the faces of rushing linemen?
We had one last week that we still do not know how it got thru. It went thru about a 2 foot gap of the O-linemen and if had been a little rt or lft would have hit them in the a** and left a big bruise considering the high rate of speed it was moving.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely correct on your crews call and placement. Answer to the coach, "I don't know why you don't always go for a FG instead of punting."