The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Question 68

We could not agree on the answer to this question at our association meeting this evening. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please cite references if possible. The question goes: A player who has been withdrawn may not re-enter bfore the next opportunity to substitute after the ball becomes live following his/her replacement. True or False
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 3 SUBSTITUTION

ART. 4 . . . A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraz423
A player who has been withdrawn may not re-enter bfore the next opportunity to substitute after the ball becomes live following his/her replacement. True or False
True! But not when the ball becomes live. It 's when time actually runs off the game clock. You can have a live ball without time running off the clock. As in a throw-in after a dead ball. A team could call a time out during a throw in without time running of the clock. The ball was live during the throw in but no time ran off before the time out. The sub that came out still can't come in until time runs off the clock.

Rule 3 Section 3 Art. 4 page 23 Rule Book
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
True! But not when the ball becomes live. It 's when time actually runs off the game clock. You can have a live ball without time running off the clock. As in a throw-in after a dead ball. A team could call a time out during a throw in without time running of the clock. The ball was live during the throw in but no time ran off before the time out. The sub that came out still can't come in until time runs off the clock.

Rule 3 Section 3 Art. 4 page 23 Rule Book
If you didn't type your question wrong then the answer to your question is False.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

It is a poorly written question. The statement as written is true because the team member certainly may not reenter before then. However, there is one additional requirement that also has to be met -- time coming off the clock. This part is not included in the statement. So the test question is incomplete, but not incorrect, does that make it false? Who knows, who cares what the NFHS answer is? Just know the rule and apply it properly during the game.

This is one of the two that I missed according to the NFHS answer key.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 10:00pm
M.A.S.H.

Correct, time must come off the clock. The ball is live during a throw-in, etc. So time must come off the clock.... so the answer is falso.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

This is one of the two that I missed according to the NFHS answer key.[/QUOTE]

How did you answer this question on the test?
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

As I wrote above who cares what the NFHS answer is? The point is to help people understand the rule, not match the federation answer key.

This is why discussion of the exam questions on this forum is such a controversial topic. I try to help people learn, not just provide answers.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Let's look at this statement in a different way.

Can anyone provide an example in which a player who has been withdrawn MAY re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the ball becomes live following his/her replacement?
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can anyone provide an example in which a player who has been withdrawn MAY re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the ball becomes live following his/her replacement?
A6 is beckoned on the floor as a sub during a 1 and 1 free throw. A only has 6 players eligible. During the first free throw, which was successful, A6 (or A2-A5) needs to be substituted....i.e. sudden bloody nose, turned ankle on one of those asinine false rebounds when players don't pay attention to what the administering official says, dead ball foul that causes A6 to foul out et al.

Since A must field a full team if there are players eligible, I would allow A1 to come back into the game.

Every single one of those scenarios has happened during a game I worked at some point in my career. Thankfully none of them involvred the substitution issue because I'm sure the B coach would argue about it.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Another example is A1 fouls B1. During dead ball, B6 subs for B1. You hand the ball to B3 for the throw -in. Horn sounds. It's the dreaded 7th team foul on Team A. You need to bring B1 back on the floor to shoot 1 + 1.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 09:22am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Since A must field a full team if there are players eligible, I would allow A1 to come back into the game.
The problem is that A1 is not eligible at that point, for exactly the reason that we're discussing.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The problem is that A1 is not eligible at that point, for exactly the reason that we're discussing.
Semantics. I contend that A1 is an eligible player in that (s)he has not been disqualified from the game.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 09:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Semantics. I contend that A1 is an eligible player in that (s)he has not been disqualified from the game.
I don't think it's semantics at all. The rules specifically say that the player is not allowed to return to the game. That means she or he is ineligible. The team will have to play with 4 until the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has properly started.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Common Sense?

So making a temporary travesty of the game is better than allowing the player back in?