The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

We had quite a discussion (OK argument) last night at our meeting concerning question #99.

99. It is not a violation on a throw-in if A1 jumps from A's frontcourt and while airborne, catches the throw-in and then passes to A2, who is standing in A's backcourt.

We all know 9-9-3...On a throw-in, if a player of either team is first to gain control while airborne, no violation occurs if the player jumped from frontcourt and lands in backcourt.

Two questions:
1)What rule reference can I quote that shows it is in fact a violation for an airborne player jumping from frontcourt on a throw-in and passing to a teammate in the backcourt?

2)I heard NFHS might be changing this ruling, in the future, so that question #99 would be True...has anyone else heard this?
Richland, WA
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
We had quite a discussion (OK argument) last night at our meeting concerning question #99.

99. It is not a violation on a throw-in if A1 jumps from A's frontcourt and while airborne, catches the throw-in and then passes to A2, who is standing in A's backcourt.

We all know 9-9-3...On a throw-in, if a player of either team is first to gain control while airborne, no violation occurs if the player jumped from frontcourt and lands in backcourt.

Two questions:
1)What rule reference can I quote that shows it is in fact a violation for an airborne player jumping from frontcourt on a throw-in and passing to a teammate in the backcourt?

2)I heard NFHS might be changing this ruling, in the future, so that question #99 would be True...has anyone else heard this?
When A1 caught the ball the throw-in ended. Also when A1 caught the ball player and team control was established. A1 last position was in front court ergo a pass to A2 in backcourt results in a backcourt violation.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

9.9.1 -- I think this explains fairly clearly why this is a violation.

It seems to me that 9.9.3 is an exception to the team control/front court-back court rule designed to make it less confusing. It has always seemed to me that it should be a violation for a player to jump (from front court)/catch/and land in back court. 9.9.3 is just an exception to that rule.

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
We also have discussed this one due to 9-9-3. At this point, our association has decided not to call this a violation based on the fact that it is not a violation on a desig. spot throwin to jump from front court, catch, and land in backcourt. If the situation involved a pass from the backcourt, then yes, it would be a violation.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coachz_216

It seems to me that 9.9.3 is an exception to the team control/front court-back court rule designed to make it less confusing. It has always seemed to me that it should be a violation for a player to jump (from front court)/catch/and land in back court. 9.9.3 is just an exception to that rule.

Yeah...except there is no team control on a throw-in, as stated in 9-9-1.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Think about this:

If A1 jumps from front court, catches, and lands in backcourt, it is not a violation and he can then pass to A2 in backcourt! What sense does it make to say that if he gets rid of it while in the air, and it is caught by A2 in backcourt, it is a violation? If he just held on a little longer until he landed, then it wouldn't be! This seems very incosistent. Am I missing something here?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking and just for kicks

And while we are at it, we should also point out 9.9.2 is for when team A has the ball in the backcourt and loses the ball and it hits a referee in the front court and bounces back into the backcourt.... still a violation... since 9.9.1 and 9.9.3 was talked about, i didn't want to leave 9.9.2 out in the cold.....
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

other than the "N" in insconsistent? sorry.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by coachz_216

Yeah...except there is no team control on a throw-in, as stated in 9-9-1.
Right. However the throw in has ended when A-1 caught the pass and as per rule 4-12-2 team control was established.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Team control is established as soon as the player catches the ball (in the air).

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

Two questions:

When A1 caught the ball the throw-in ended. Also when A1 caught the ball player and team control was established. A1 last position was in front court ergo a pass to A2 in backcourt results in a backcourt violation.
...and I agree with your statement. Except it is hard to argue why A1 can land in the backcourt (9-9-3) but cannot pass to the backcourt.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Two questions:

Use R9-9-3 as your rules reference. This is an exception to R9-9-1 that applies only to the player of the team not in control that actually catches the pass/jump ball/throw-in while airborne from the front court to back court. This exception specifically applies to that player only, not to his teammates also. His teammates are still covered under R9-9-1.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that this doesn't make any sense!!

I think it should be a violation in both cases--I think it is just an exception so that officials/players have one less thing to think about during a throw-in.

***Think about this:

If A1 jumps from front court, catches, and lands in backcourt, it is not a violation and he can then pass to A2 in backcourt! What sense does it make to say that if he gets rid of it while in the air, and it is caught by A2 in backcourt, it is a violation? If he just held on a little longer until he landed, then it wouldn't be! This seems very incosistent. Am I missing something here?***
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

not missing anything..it should be changed...
but the rule now is just saying A1 was established in frontcourt, then left floor still with frontcourt rules, caught the ball and passed it into backcourt before establishing him/her self in the backcourt!!! If they wait till they are established in the backcourt by landing on the floor, then they can do whatever they want pass or whatever to anyone because they are now backcourt!!!! Before the pass they were front court!! that is why they can't pass it to back court in the air!!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Two questions:

Use R9-9-3 as your rules reference. This is an exception to R9-9-1 that applies only to the player of the team not in control that actually catches the pass/jump ball/throw-in while airborne from the front court to back court. This exception specifically applies to that player only, not to his teammates also. His teammates are still covered under R9-9-1.
Thanks JR...that will have to do.
"The exception only applies to the player catching the throw-in...not to his teammates."
I would still like to see that spelled out a little better in the rules or case book.
Richland, WA