The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:38am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I wish our Assn did have that policy. However I took it upon myself to scratch myself from any boys' games involving my son's HS. He's a freshman and may not even make the team this year.

If my son were to be cut I don't want to give the coach a chance to say I'm trying to screw his team to get even.
I knew you had kids, but I didn't realize you had a son that old! Can he beat you yet?
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:45am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
I can't understand how any H.S level association would allow an official anywhere near a game involving their child.
I was available for the only game I did "against* my son, because I never took games the same evening. When he was playing, I was watching him.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I was available for the only game I did "against* my son, because I never took games the same evening. When he was playing, I was watching him.
Waching him, eh?
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 10:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Waching him, eh?
FanBoy Mick generally yelled at everyone.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

NEVER, EVER readily and knowingly put yourself in a position where a fan, coach, player, or an administrator can or will question your professionalism or integrity as an official. NOTHING good could ever come from it.

For example, I worked at a local school for two years, that was three years ago. I still do not work their games at any level (JH-HS).

TASO (Texas Association of Sports Officials) Code of Ethics specifically states that any official who has children at a school, family/friends who work at a school, or who has worked at or with a school in the preceding 5 years may not work their games.

Just food for thought, for all officials.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 11:53am
M.A.S.H.

Certainly, give your assignor plenty of time to reschedule an official. Bail out ASAP.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah - I wouldn't do the game.

I don't have any kids so I don't have to worry about conflicts but I'm surprised your assignor or group don't ask you in advance for any potential conflicts.

In fact, our group recently instituted a policy of "15 years" post graduation or else you can't work a school's games. So technically, even though I have no connection to my old high school besides being a graduate and a fan of their basketball teams, I have been told I can't work any games associated with the school until next year.
Old Sun Oct 29, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I wish our Assn did have that policy. However I took it upon myself to scratch myself from any boys' games involving my son's HS. He's a freshman and may not even make the team this year.

If my son were to be cut I don't want to give the coach a chance to say I'm trying to screw his team to get even.
I don't do games at my son's high school and he doesn't even play basketball. I have all the games I need at other schools and don't need the potential of the other team or worse, our school's parents feeling I "favored" one team or the other. Now in the CYO middle and Jr High league I do games from my other son's school but not his team. I filled in once when only one official showed for the game and have heard about it ever since from my son.

Funny part is he now is officiating youth soccer and now knows what his dad goes through. He is much more understanding now. He does have more of a short leash than I. I'm afraid for coaches next year as he plans on getting his basketball license. The "T's" will fly.