The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Refresher Question Wrong

Number 15 on the IAABO exam seems to give the wrong correct answer (Manybe I am wrong, but I don't think so)

The question is as follows: Substitute B-6 enters the court while the ballis in control of team A and while the clock is running. The officials are inaware that team B has 6 players in the game. B-6 returns to the bench after which team A commits a violation/ The scorer now informs the official that team B had 6 players on the court. The Official rules no Technical foul can be assessed. Is the official correct. I said yes, the answer says no. It sights Rule 10, Section 1 Art 6: Have more than 5 team members participating simultaneously.
BUT, right under that it states Penalty: Penalized IF discovered while being violated.

So how could you have a T in the scenario above.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Is this a correctable error? "Failure to award a merited free throw"

Has the time to correct the error passed? "In order to correct any of the officials' errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started."
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 01:38pm
Lighten up, Francis.

PIAA Ref, you are correct that the official answer is wrong. My association received an email that was forwarded from the IAABO "home office", saying that #15 was in error and that the actual answer should be "Yes".

There were also a couple other answers that were changed from the answer key.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I posted question 15 earlier...FYI

Six players in game
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

incorrect answer key on refresher

has anybody else dicovered any other answer(s) incorrect on the exam? I recently learned the key has 2 or 3 incorrect answers.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 07:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO 2006 Refresher Exam Answer Mistakes

According to our board secretary/treasurer and our board interpreter, there are three mistakes on the IAABO 2006 Refresher Exam Answer And Reference Sheet. This information came out of a board Refresher Exam study session:

Question #15: Correct answer should be YES.

Question #49: Correct answer should be NO.

Question #80: Correct answer should be NO.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 10:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
According to our board secretary/treasurer and our board interpreter, there are three mistakes on the IAABO 2006 Refresher Exam Answer And Reference Sheet. This information came out of a board Refresher Exam study session:

Question #15: Correct answer should be YES.

Question #49: Correct answer should be NO.

Question #80: Correct answer should be NO.
Three out of how many? This seem unacceptable now matter how many.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I don't like the answer to #13 or #33.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Nov 13, 2006 at 10:47am.
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Tony,
Please post the questions!
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 04:48am
Courageous When Prudent

13. While the official passes team A’s bench, someone from the bench utters uncomplimentary language. The official is not able to designate which bench personnel uttered the words. Official charges a technical foul to the head coach. Is the official correct?

33. A–1 after receiving the ball, places the ball on the floor and simultaneously releases it with both hands. A–1 then picks up the ball and dribbles toward the side line. Official rules this an illegal dribble. Is the official correct?

75. After the ball becomes live to begin the first quarter the official notices that A–1 is wearing an illegal jersey. A–1 plays the whole first quarter and enters the court to start the second quarter. Official assesses A–1 with a technical foul. Is the official correct?
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 05:05am
Official Forum Member

Well, I don't know the official IAABO ruling for any of these questions, but here are my answers:
13. Yes
33. Yes
75. No
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 07:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Well, I don't know the official IAABO ruling for any of these questions, but here are my answers:
13. Yes
33. Yes
75. No
That's what IAABO has also. Fwiw, I agree with you and IAABO.
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
33. A–1 after receiving the ball, places the ball on the floor and simultaneously releases it with both hands. A–1 then picks up the ball and dribbles toward the side line. Official rules this an illegal dribble. Is the official correct?
Interesting question....

We have a case play with a player who recovers the ball while laying on the floor that may be useful in this case.

(The case was quote here: http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...45&postcount=2)

If that player on the floor sits the ball down, stands, then picks up the ball, it is considered traveling. To me, that says that sitting the ball on the floor is not a dribble....otherwise it would have been a legal play.

Now to this case...

How is it different? The only differnce is the position of the player, not the action with the ball.

So, is sitting the ball on the floor a dribbler or not?? If not, then the official is wrong. If so, then teh case play I referenced is providing a contratdictory interpretation of stilling the ball on the floor.
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 07:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
13. While the official passes team A’s bench, someone from the bench utters uncomplimentary language. The official is not able to designate which bench personnel uttered the words. Official charges a technical foul to the head coach. Is the official correct?We talked about this one, but the question does not state whether the T was direct or indirect to the coach. Because it was bench personnel it was indirect, but a T nonetheless.

33. A–1 after receiving the ball, places the ball on the floor and simultaneously releases it with both hands. A–1 then picks up the ball and dribbles toward the side line. Official rules this an illegal dribble. Is the official correct? When the player released the ball, it became the start of a dribble. When he picked it up, the dribble ended. The player then started another dribble. At least that is how this one was explained at our refresher.

75. After the ball becomes live to begin the first quarter the official notices that A–1 is wearing an illegal jersey. A–1 plays the whole first quarter and enters the court to start the second quarter. Official assesses A–1 with a technical foul. Is the official correct?
Once the player is playing, it is deemed legal. Reading into it you could argue an illegal number might have been the reason for its illegality, but the question does not say it was an illegal number.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
When the player released the ball, it became the start of a dribble. When he picked it up, the dribble ended. The player then started another dribble.

How does that ruling fit with case 4.45.5.B? In it A1 gains control of the ball on the floor and it says...
"It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is the first to touch the ball."
Since it is not possible to travel during a dribble, the act of putting the ball on the floor must not be a dribble.