Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Yup, I was there.
Turn on your P.M.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Look into laser eye surgery...the best decision I ever made. I did it 6 years ago and went from 20/80 in my right eye, 20/100 in my left to 20/15 in both.

No loss of focus when you glance to the side like with glasses.

No irritation or expense like with contacts.

The feeling of waking up the day after the surgery and seeing clearly...I was 20/20 20 hours after I had it done...for the first time in 25 years, the second my eyes opened, was incredible.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Look into laser eye surgery...the best decision I ever made. I did it 6 years ago and went from 20/80 in my right eye, 20/100 in my left to 20/15 in both.

No loss of focus when you glance to the side like with glasses.

No irritation or expense like with contacts.

The feeling of waking up the day after the surgery and seeing clearly...I was 20/20 20 hours after I had it done...for the first time in 25 years, the second my eyes opened, was incredible.
My eyes are sooooo sensitive that I barely make it thru the contact exam. If they could knock me out and laser my eyes, I'm all in but I understand you have to be awake for it. There's no way cuz I couldn't hold still.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
My eyes are sooooo sensitive that I barely make it thru the contact exam. If they could knock me out and laser my eyes, I'm all in but I understand you have to be awake for it. There's no way cuz I couldn't hold still.
What they do is give you a mild sedative to relax you, then they put drops in your eyes to numb them. They strap your head down and have a device that holds your eyes open...a nicer version of A Clockwork Orange...so you don't have to hold still.

If you can wear a contact lens, you can make it through laser surgery. I'm sure they can give you more meds to relax you if needed, since you can't drive yourself home after anyway.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 04:44pm
9 times

I only wear contacts to ref. Glasses are just better for my eyes and laser surgery isn't an option for me.

I wore glasses for the first couple of years that I worked before I made the switch to contacts. The comment that was made to me was that it was just one less thing for people to pick on. My experience is that it is true. If you are comfortable with the comments that will come, I say wear your glasses.

The funniest thing to me is when people yell out glasses comments because I really do see much better through my glasses than I do through the contacts.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
What they do is give you a mild sedative to relax you, then they put drops in your eyes to numb them. They strap your head down and have a device that holds your eyes open...a nicer version of A Clockwork Orange...so you don't have to hold still.
Great movie btw

There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm lucky in that I only need mine for reading, so it isn't an issure for me yet, but I have worn prescription sunglasses when facing into the sun on soccer games and was glad that I had them. If you need your glasses wear them. If the contacts are bothering you during a game you're going to be distracted by them. If you don't think you're seeing as well as you need to you're going to be distracted and feel less confident. I've worked with a lot of guys .... really good and skilled guys.... who had on the specs. If you see better and are more comfortable wear them.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Guys - Thanks for all the replies and advise. Here's my plan...I'm going to go ahead and wear my glasses and let the chips fall where they may.

I do believe my reputation as a "decent" official should help I'll let you all know how this plays out when the season get rolling. Thanks again for the advise and encouragement
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 07:23pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I have to make my regular appt with the eye doctor and am going to try the contact route. That [wearing glasses], along with facial hair, beer bellies & several other physical factors were mentioned as reasons for lower ratings. Several guys testified as to how their ratings shot way up after making the switch. I am loath to do it because I hate messing with my eyes, but the lion's share of ratings come from other officials, so guess where the problem lies?
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I'm with blindzebra - I wore glasses and contacts for years. The contacts got to the point that I could only wear them during the game and I'd take them out right afterwards to reduce the irritation they caused. I finally decided to go with the laser surgery - the BEST money I have ever spent on anything legal! My experience was even better than blindzebra's. I went from 20/800 - I couldn't even read the big E on the screen - to the point that I could actually read a clock on the wall 15 feet away IMMEDIATELY after the surgery. It was a little foggy still and by 8:00 that night my vision was crystal clear. My vision is now 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other after almost 2 years. My cost was $1400 - but I'd do it all over again tomorrow wtihout hesitation. As for the nerves, I didn't get the valium but really didn't need it - my doc was so gentle and I was completely ready for everything that went on during the surgery thanks to a few buddies that had already gone through the proceedure.

Bottom line - have the surgery - I'll never need to spend $200 or more a year on contacts or glasses that I'd happen to break during a game. Again, the BEST investment I have ever made!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Just my opinion but I think you should go back to the contacts, even if its just for officiating. Perception is a big chunk of officiating and glasses can ruin your court presence. Again, JMO.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Just my opinion but I think you should go back to the contacts, even if its just for officiating. Perception is a big chunk of officiating and glasses can ruin your court presence. Again, JMO.
I agree. There is a reason you do not see officials at all levels and different sports wearing glasses.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehe,

You will never work the highest level games, sorry preceived or not, wearing glasses.

Do what you want but I would have never worked D-1 basketball wearing glasses.

Get Lasik or contacts or work a lower level schedule.

Do what you want and live with it.

Regards,
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Don Rutledge wore glasses in at least some of his games. Granted, he's been out for several years, but he was about as big time as it gets.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
You will never work the highest level games, sorry preceived or not, wearing glasses.

Do what you want but I would have never worked D-1 basketball wearing glasses.

Get Lasik or contacts or work a lower level schedule.

Do what you want and live with it.

Regards,
Thank goodness I get my own games (no assigning association -- we go straight to the conferences and schools) and this would NOT be a factor for me. One of my regular partners wears glasses and he's a top-notch official.

This "perception" is kept alive by OTHER OFFICIALS. I don't think non-officials really care whether or not you're wearing glasses. Most people probably wouldn't even notice.