The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Is it now acceptable to wear glasses while umpiring?Sounds like a srange question,but I believe that used to be tabu,showing a sign of weakness.I umpire varsity high school,Div III college,and the summer ASA fastpitch program.I have always umpired without glasses and can see well,but have serious headaches after the game.I wear progressive lens,so my eye doctor ruled out contacts.Opinions are appreciated.Thanks. Jeff
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
This is news to me! I know that some UICs used to prefer us not to wear sunglasses, but now we can if they don't look too bizarre. I know many, many umpires that have worn glasses for years, and I've been around a little over 17 seasons and never heard of this. Where and what type of ball do you umpire?
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mo
If I remember right, you're down in the Reading/Kutztown area of Pa. I think Jerry Orlando is a HS rules interpretor down there - we've done some college ball together. I'm sure he can tell you about a number of the D2 & D1 umps in our assocation that wear glasses. There's no problem with glasses - if you need them, use them.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Yes Steve,I umpire with Jerry in the Reading,PA area.I was fortunate enough to do District playoff games with him last year.I just started wearing glasses about 3 years ago,but have never worn them to umpire.It is getting more difficult to read the line up cards,however,I have no problem with my calls.Some calls from the "C" position get a little far away from first base.I just have it im my head that it will give a coach something more to criticize when things dont go his/way.Some of the guys down here wear their glasses,I was just curious if it was acceptable,especially at higher levels of play. Jeff
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry Elaine,I forgot to answer your question.I do varsity high school,small college,and adult/J.O.fastpitch in the Southeastern Pennsylvania area. Jeff
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mo:
I have to wear my glasses or else I would be without them. It hasn't prevented me from calling at all levels of play. Heck...both my assignor and UIC wear em. Of course, there are always detractors who will look for anything to fuss about. But they will think that we are blind with or without glasses. Besides, they come in handy when a coach says something like "Are you sure about that blue? Over here it sure looked like she was safe." You can always pull them off your face and a)offer them to the griping coach for future use, or b)while they are in your hand look over to where you just made the call and say something like "yeah, I see now how you can say that." Either one will get your point across and inject a slight amount of levity.

By all means, if you wear glasses away from the field you should wear them on the field.

JMHO.

Scott
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Most everyone belives were blind anyway
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Mo,

I don't think I've been in S.E. Pennsylvania, but my in laws used to live in Hagerstown, Md., and we would go across the state line from there into Chambersburg and some other small towns. I liked the scenery, and oh--the Mennonite Cheese!
Yum-yum. The Mennonites had a great open air market about
3 miles out of Hagerstown that was wonderful. I wish we'd had more time to tour Pennsylvania.
Good luck, have a good season!!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

But what do you say to that fan or coach when they say "Hey Blue you need glasses or Hey Blue want to borrow my glasses" If you are already wearing them??

Just Joshing

Don
Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Mo,
I just sent you an email.

Old Wed Feb 20, 2002, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

I umpired, and did other sports, from 1956-2000. I have worn glasses since I was 11 years old, and wore them on the fields and the courts. Never had a problem. The main thing about the fans is - IGNORE the jerks. If they had any talent, they'd be playing or officiating.

Bob

p.s. There are officials in the pro sports who wear glasses while working.

B

[Edited by bluezebra on Feb 20th, 2002 at 10:18 PM]
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

oppool wrote
"But what do you say to that fan or coach when they say "Hey Blue you need glasses or Hey Blue want to borrow my glasses" If you are already wearing them??"

Don,

After one reaalllyy bad call I made on a third strike, a guy behind the screen hollers out, "Blue you need glasses!" I casually turned around to show him that I WAS wearing glasses. I laughed and told him I just needed a new presciption. He and I are now good friends.

Ironic sidenote - I injured my eye a month later. When it healed I was seeing 20/20. Now I don't have to wear glasses anymore.

Gary
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Game ending banger at first in an elimination game at a State tournament last year..........losing coach is pissed and tells me I need glasses.......I told him......."How original coach.......and, what do you think these are?"...pointing to my glasses.......

Actually......I could not umpire without them (or contacts)...........I quit wearing contacts in games just a couple of weeks after I got them.

In a game last year, I was PU and the catcher after fielding a ball in the dirt called a high & tight fastball.......I caught a facefull of dirt and I had to stop the game.....take my contacts out and go back to glasses.........

I have worn the contacts on and off for the last year.......and like them better sometimes...........but calling a plate game is not one of them.

Joel

Old Sat Feb 23, 2002, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the insight and assurance that it is totally acceptable to wear glasses to umpire.I had always believed it wasnt preferred,but now I will be wearing mine this season.Thanks again. Jeff