Thread: Glasses
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H
I've been an official here in Pa for about 15 yrs. While coming up through the JV ranks I always wore my glasses and not contact lens since I thought they were uncomfortable. A few senior officials told me the only way I would get moved up to varsity ball was to wear contacts, so I tried them again. After doing so, I was moved up and have enjoyed doing varsity ball for going on 9 yrs now and even got to do a district final last year. I still don't like wearing contacts and only wear them to do varsity ball. This being said, last March I developed a serious eye infection from using a bad lot of contact lens solution from a manufacturer that was in the news earlier this year. My eye is 100% healed now but...I've decided not to wear contacts ever again after going through that mess. Sooo, my question is...does anyone wear their glasses while officiating? If so, do you do varsity ball? I'm curious to see what if anything is said this season when I wear my glasses and not the contacts. Hopefully nothing.
I don't wear glasses so pardon me for responding but I couldn't resist. Sounds like you maybe fighting the "you sure need those glasses" comment from the peanut gallery and etc. Preception is reality and all that stuff. And I have a concern about getting hit with them on doing a jump ball or just in general. BUTyour health and what you previously went through is THE deciding factor. WEAR 'EM. You got some time in at the varsity level and you probably have gain some creditibilty in your nine years....so go knock em dead. Get the calls right and it won't matter. Be approachable and comfortable with it and it won't matter. Anyone ask...you have to wear you can't wear contacts. Period. And if this motivational speech doesn't work for you then there's always laser surgery. By the way, if you do decide to wear them let someone else toss the ball ( FOR MY PEACE OF MIND) and DON'T HAVE RABBIT EARS.