The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 19, 2006, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Eye glasses

Does anyone who wears eyeglasses to umpire have a sollution to "fogging" of the glasses in hot,humid conditions.Worked the plate of the second game of a womens FP game tonight after a thunderstorm came through.I have a towel on the backstop but I only wipe off my glasses between innings.Any suggestions to keep my lenses clear.

Jeff
NFHS Umpire
NCAA Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
There's some stuff you can get called NO FOG (or something to that effect). When I was a little younger and did some paintballing it was very effective in keeping your goggles "fog free". A better solution is contacts if you can wear them and even better is LASIK surgery. I had the LASIK done almost 18 months ago and it was best money I've ever spent! Although now sometimes my sunglasses fog up!!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your input Larry,I was considering trying contacts.What is the recovery time for Lasik surgery?That may be a viable option as well.Glasses arent a problem in the spring H.S and College seasons,but in the summer they can be a real pain in the butt.Last night was the worst fogging problem I have had to date in the humidity of a late night game here in PA.It takes away the enjoyment of umpiring having to battle to keep my glasses clear.I hope my zone wasnt too small with the tiny window I had to look through.

Jeff
NFHS Umpire
NCAA Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo99
Thanks for your input Larry,I was considering trying contacts.What is the recovery time for Lasik surgery?
I wore contacts for years for officiating, but I got to the point that my eyes could only tolerate them for a certain period of time. I found myself taking them out immediately after a game and putting my glasses back on. That wasn't as big of a problem during basketball season but can be a pain after a dirty softball game.

I had Lasik on January 6th 2005. After the 20 minute proceedure my vision was remarkable. You feel like you are looking through water, but I could still read the clock about 15 feet away - immediately. I went home, took a 3 hour nap and when I woke up everything was crystal clear! I wore goggles to sleep and shower in for about 3 weeks just for safety sake. I officiated my first basketball game a week after my surgery. Due to the dust on the field, my doc probably wouldn't have let me do softball so soon. He probably would have waited an extra week. My vision went from 20/800 to 20/15. I still have a small amount of astigmatism but it's nothing. I paid $1,700 for the operation and would do it again tomorrow. Best money I EVER spent!!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I wear Rec Speecs when I am behind the plate. I too suffer from fogging. The solution? After you clean your glasses, use a small amount of shaving cream and a dry soft towel. Stand by for days of no fogging.

Bugg
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Cat Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo99
Does anyone who wears eyeglasses to umpire have a sollution to "fogging" of the glasses in hot,humid conditions.Worked the plate of the second game of a womens FP game tonight after a thunderstorm came through.I have a towel on the backstop but I only wipe off my glasses between innings.Any suggestions to keep my lenses clear.

Jeff
NFHS Umpire
NCAA Umpire
ASA Umpire
This stuff works fantastic... funny name, but worth the $4.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
I wear Rec Speecs when I am behind the plate. I too suffer from fogging. The solution? After you clean your glasses, use a small amount of shaving cream and a dry soft towel. Stand by for days of no fogging.
Bugg
I never thought of that - we used to do that in the community shower at college to keep the mirror from fogging. I don't think I'd use menthol though.

Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I use any brand of baby shampoo (no tears) on my glasses. Half drop per inside lens is all you need for the day. Very lightly wipe off excess. Reduced fog 95%.

Last edited by Tex; Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 11:54am.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
Half drop per inside lens is all you need for the day.
I'm not trying to be a jerk but I couldn't resist this and just had to ask. How do you get a "half drop"? Do they make a special dropper for that? Can you get those at any drug store?

OK, you can shoot me now!