Thread: Glasses
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H
Sooo, my question is...does anyone wear their glasses while officiating? If so, do you do varsity ball? I'm curious to see what if anything is said this season when I wear my glasses and not the contacts. Hopefully nothing.
I wore contacts for a year in high school, and didn't like them much, and in my job I need to have some type of eye protection anyhow, so I just stuck with eyeglasses for years. I wore them my first 2 years officiating.

For some of the same concerns you mentioned, I decided I could try contacts again, now that they have improved since I wore them last. So a month into last season, my third, I switched.

I really felt I had a better field of vision, and no worries about keeping the eyeglasses secure and lenses clear. It surprised me how much more at ease I was. I have no desire to go back to glasses for officiating.

Since I'm new at this, I wasn't yet too concerned about getting varsity games. The eyeglasses issue was never mentioned to me, and I never heard it discussed regarding anyone else. In fact, I can name a handful of officials (varsity and otherwise) I saw work last season that had eyeglasses.

You'll either hear "You need new glasses" or "You should get some glasses" from the stands, so there's no winning there. If your association prefers contacts, that's another thing. Sounds to me like you have made a thoughtful decision. Don't look back on it.