The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2000, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

After 12 years officiating basketball, 8 at the HS Varsity level, I set aside my stripes this year to be the assistant coach on my daughter's 10&u travel basketball team. Yes, I've crossed over to the "dark side".

Having been there myself, I realize that the 10 yr old girls usually get the less experienced referees (and it shows). I think my past experience gives me a different perspective than other coaches: while I won't question a judgement call, it drives me batty to see officials out of position, watching where they shouldn't be, or incorrectly applying a rule. I do have a few observations that maybe will help some of you/us. (My transformation is not complete--even though my title is "coach", I still think of myself as "referee").

#1 Do not set aside any rule that has to do with safety. I am talking specifically about jewelry and hair thingys. At one game I noticed a player with earrings, mentioned it to the official, and was told "she can't take them out, she just got her ears pierced". I insisted that the rule be followed. Earrings can't come out, girl has to sit, tears start flowing. The official then tried to make me look like the bad guy keeping a little girl from playing basketball. At yesterday's game, I brought it to the officials' attention that two players had metal barrettes in their hair. After some eye rolling, they asked the players to remove the illegal items.

My point is, even if they are little kids (especially if they are little kids!), the safety rules must be followed. If you don't have the guts to tell a 10 year old to remove her earrings, then find another avocation.

#2 I know that officials will not call every foul, especially at the 10 yr old level. However, barring extreme circumstances (a rout by one team, for example) fouls that result in the offended team losing the ball need to be called. Players will not learn to play defense correctly unless they are penalized for pushing, blocking, or hitting.

#3 Please understand the difference between a fumble and the start of a dribble. Remember a player may fumble-dribble-fumble but not dribble-fumble-dribble. Ten year olds fumble the ball a lot, especially receiving a pass. Just because the ball hits a player's hand(s) and then hits the floor does not mean a dribble has started. It may look ugly, but it is not necessarily a violation.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 01:29am
PDLeBoutillier

Talking

Excellent advice! Thanks for posting!!
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Thumbs up

As an official who calls all levels of ball from juco to aau (10-11 yr olds) I echo these tips from mrsref that the advantage/disadvantage concepts come into play even more at the little kids level. These are good tips that can be taken to heart by all of us that call that level of ball. Good Job!
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mrsref on 01-17-2000 12:17 PM
#1 Do not set aside any rule that has to do with safety. I am talking specifically about jewelry and hair thingys. At one game I noticed a player with earrings, mentioned it to the official, and was told "she can't take them out, she just got her ears pierced". I insisted that the rule be followed. Earrings can't come out, girl has to sit, tears start flowing. The official then tried to make me look like the bad guy keeping a little girl from playing basketball.
#3 Please understand the difference between a fumble and the start of a dribble. Remember a player may fumble-dribble-fumble but not dribble-fumble-dribble. Ten year olds fumble the ball a lot, especially receiving a pass. Just because the ball hits a player's hand(s) and then hits the floor does not mean a dribble has started. It may look ugly, but it is not necessarily a violation.

Good points all. However, I have to confess that on occasion, it just doesn't seem worth it to keep a little girl out of the game. I'm pretty straightforward about enforcing these things at all levels, but on an infrequent occasion I will allow the earings to stay if they are well taped up and the coach assumes responsibility. I know, it won't hold up in court, but . . . I use a little discretion according to the circumstances (e.g., if it's a parochial game). A little thin, I admit, but hey, I'm human. Also, if I'm the coach, my kids WON'T have any jewelry. If I see it on the other team's kids, I'll call it to the ref's attention, but it will be up to HIM to make the decision--not my job to insist the earings come out for that player, as long as MY players are legal. Just a different perspective, I guess.

Also, good point about the fumbling thing. I see a double-dribble called on that very situation too often even at the varsity level. How many of us have had a partner call double dribble in front of us because we properly held our whistles but he/she thought we missed it? I always cover that scenario in pre-game now, but it doesn't always work.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rookieref on 01-19-2000 11:29 AM
"Guts" "Big Calls" during a little girls basketball game? Man, some people take this stuff way to seriously!!!

I think you're missing the point. It shouldn't take "guts" to make a player remove her earrings. It is a simple rule that does not involve any judgement. It is as simple a rule as allowing no more than 5 players per side--no room for judgement here.

In my opinion, a referee who cannot enforce the simple rules that do not require a judgement to be made will have a tough time making the judgment calls, when no matter what you call 50% of the people will agree and 50% won't agree. If you can't handle the "heat" reagrding earrings, don't even set foot into the "kitchen" of a game--even ten year-olds don't want you.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mrsref on 01-19-2000 09:53 AM
Ah, but I didn't mention that besides being a referee-on-leave and the coach, I am one of the directors for our basketball organization
Besides, my question to you, as a referee, if you allowed a girl to play with her earrings taped, would be "Are there any other rules that you are going to suspend today? Would you like to tell me about them now or will I find out when it happens?"

Basically, I felt that if he didn't have the guts to take care of the earrings, he wouldn't have the guts to make a big call during the game. Already he has lost credibility with me.

Ohhh, you're right--you didn't say you are one of the directors. Then you absolutely should be enforcing the jewelry rule for all of the teams. If you were "just" one of the coaches in the league, then I think you would best enforce the rule for YOUR team.

Regarding "Are there any other rules you are going to suspend today," I've heard that line before and have used it myself when discussing issues with high school level officials--usually veteran officials who prefer interpreting some things there own way, which is not a good message to send to younger officials. But...we're talking a young girls' league and I think that DOES matter to a point. At a freshman, JV, HS or higher level, it's a non-issue. But I do believe there is room for at least some discretion at the young level. After all, obviously there are lots of calls that are "adjusted" for their skill level--especially travelling calls. It's not an arbitrary decision about what rules to ignore today; it's based on practical reality.

Also, as far as losing credibility, I think a ref's credibility will hinge a lot on how he carries himself on the court and what kinds of calls he makes and ignores (or misses). If I obviously have been working a while and know what I'm doing, my credibility will remain intact with most coaches, because they are most concerned that the game is called consistently and fairly. The occasional permissiveness regarding the earing thing will generally be a non-issue (unless something happens to the girl's ear--then it's: "Oh, oh!"). Good thoughts, though. This is good stuff for consideration and discussion.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by mrsref on 01-17-2000 12:17 PM

..."My point is, even if they are little kids (especially if they are little kids!), the safety rules must be followed. If you don't have the guts to tell a 10 year old to remove her earrings, then find another avocation."

mrsr,

Yep, there's nothing like that mean old referee breaking that young girl's heart. But I have to wonder why the girl's coach, whom is supposed to make sure the player is 'legally' equipped at any level of play, doesn't have the guts to tell her.

KDM

[This message has been edited by KDM (edited January 19, 2000).]
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker on 01-18-2000 04:28 PM
Good points all. However, I have to confess that on occasion, it just doesn't seem worth it to keep a little girl out of the game. I'm pretty straightforward about enforcing these things at all levels, but on an infrequent occasion I will allow the earings to stay if they are well taped up and the coach assumes responsibility. I know, it won't hold up in court, but . . . I use a little discretion according to the circumstances (e.g., if it's a parochial game). A little thin, I admit, but hey, I'm human. Also, if I'm the coach, my kids WON'T have any jewelry. If I see it on the other team's kids, I'll call it to the ref's attention, but it will be up to HIM to make the decision--not my job to insist the earings come out for that player, as long as MY players are legal. Just a different perspective, I guess.

[quote]

Ah, but I didn't mention that besides being a referee-on-leave and the coach, I am one of the directors for our basketball organization. I therefore feel that it *is* my obligation to make sure that all of the safety-related rules are followed whenever the game is being played at our facility or whenever one of our teams is involved, no matter where it is.

Besides, my question to you, as a referee, if you allowed a girl to play with her earrings taped, would be "Are there any other rules that you are going to suspend today? Would you like to tell me about them now or will I find out when it happens?"

My original post was not meant to be a complaint about referees. I still consider myself a referee. I posted with the intent of reminding everyone that perception is very important, and as a coach my perception of the referee who did not want to make the girl remove her earrings was not favorable. Basically, I felt that if he didn't have the guts to take care of the earrings, he wouldn't have the guts to make a big call during the game. Already he has lost credibility with me.

Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

"Guts" "Big Calls" during a little girls basketball game? Man, some people take this stuff way to seriously!!!
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 07:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Guys - don't EVER let kids play while they are wearing jewelry. At a NASO convention, they held "mock court cases" based on actual rulings. The referee is totally liable for injury to any player due to a player wearing jewelry, including the player who was wearing it, regardless of anyone saying they will take the responsibility.

Next time you let a little girl play with a taped over earring, think about how you would feel if she took a hard pass on the side of the head and it drove that earring post into her causing permanent damage. It has happened.

If she tells you she "can't" take them out, for whatever reason, just tell her she doesn't have to - but she can't play today. You're doing it for her own good.

The only gray area is if it is a medic-alert bracelet or necklace. My association's policy is to have the coach hold it. There is still some liability, but we feel it is less exposure for us than what might happen if they wore it (even taped down)and there was an incident.

Most of the rec leagues I ref have rules not only against jewelry, but against wearing shorts with pockets and/or belt loops. Error on the side of safety - always - not just for your own protection, but for that of the kids.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Enough of this!

How about a nice game of 'checkers' for the kids?
Old Thu Jan 20, 2000, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by Rookieref on 01-19-2000 11:29 AM

You know, the "big Travel" or the "gutsy double dribble"

Old Thu Jan 20, 2000, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett on 01-19-2000 06:45 PM
The only gray area is if it is a medic-alert bracelet or necklace. My association's policy is to have the coach hold it. There is still some liability, but we feel it is less exposure for us than what might happen if they wore it (even taped down)and there was an incident.

I'm not sure why this is a "gray area". Fed 3.5A "A medic alert bracelet ... [is] not considered to be jewelry".

Old Thu Jan 20, 2000, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Just a quick question about jewlery on officials.

I wear my wedding ring. No earrings, necklaces, or braclets. What's some of your thoughts?

Also we have an adults rec league that allows wedding rings while playing but that's it.

I saw a Freshman player the other day with a ankle braclet. Didn't see it untill the second half. He removed it.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2000, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
A medical alert braclet/necklace is not considered jewelry, true, however here in Washington we are required to have the player tape the chain/braclet to their body leaving the actual alert medalian exposed in case any emergency should arise concerning that player. No one seems to have a problem with this and we as officials have not put the player at risk of medical people not seeing the alert.

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

[This message has been edited by Ron Pilo (edited January 20, 2000).]