View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 17, 2000, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

After 12 years officiating basketball, 8 at the HS Varsity level, I set aside my stripes this year to be the assistant coach on my daughter's 10&u travel basketball team. Yes, I've crossed over to the "dark side".

Having been there myself, I realize that the 10 yr old girls usually get the less experienced referees (and it shows). I think my past experience gives me a different perspective than other coaches: while I won't question a judgement call, it drives me batty to see officials out of position, watching where they shouldn't be, or incorrectly applying a rule. I do have a few observations that maybe will help some of you/us. (My transformation is not complete--even though my title is "coach", I still think of myself as "referee").

#1 Do not set aside any rule that has to do with safety. I am talking specifically about jewelry and hair thingys. At one game I noticed a player with earrings, mentioned it to the official, and was told "she can't take them out, she just got her ears pierced". I insisted that the rule be followed. Earrings can't come out, girl has to sit, tears start flowing. The official then tried to make me look like the bad guy keeping a little girl from playing basketball. At yesterday's game, I brought it to the officials' attention that two players had metal barrettes in their hair. After some eye rolling, they asked the players to remove the illegal items.

My point is, even if they are little kids (especially if they are little kids!), the safety rules must be followed. If you don't have the guts to tell a 10 year old to remove her earrings, then find another avocation.

#2 I know that officials will not call every foul, especially at the 10 yr old level. However, barring extreme circumstances (a rout by one team, for example) fouls that result in the offended team losing the ball need to be called. Players will not learn to play defense correctly unless they are penalized for pushing, blocking, or hitting.

#3 Please understand the difference between a fumble and the start of a dribble. Remember a player may fumble-dribble-fumble but not dribble-fumble-dribble. Ten year olds fumble the ball a lot, especially receiving a pass. Just because the ball hits a player's hand(s) and then hits the floor does not mean a dribble has started. It may look ugly, but it is not necessarily a violation.