View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 07:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Guys - don't EVER let kids play while they are wearing jewelry. At a NASO convention, they held "mock court cases" based on actual rulings. The referee is totally liable for injury to any player due to a player wearing jewelry, including the player who was wearing it, regardless of anyone saying they will take the responsibility.

Next time you let a little girl play with a taped over earring, think about how you would feel if she took a hard pass on the side of the head and it drove that earring post into her causing permanent damage. It has happened.

If she tells you she "can't" take them out, for whatever reason, just tell her she doesn't have to - but she can't play today. You're doing it for her own good.

The only gray area is if it is a medic-alert bracelet or necklace. My association's policy is to have the coach hold it. There is still some liability, but we feel it is less exposure for us than what might happen if they wore it (even taped down)and there was an incident.

Most of the rec leagues I ref have rules not only against jewelry, but against wearing shorts with pockets and/or belt loops. Error on the side of safety - always - not just for your own protection, but for that of the kids.