View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker on 01-18-2000 04:28 PM
Good points all. However, I have to confess that on occasion, it just doesn't seem worth it to keep a little girl out of the game. I'm pretty straightforward about enforcing these things at all levels, but on an infrequent occasion I will allow the earings to stay if they are well taped up and the coach assumes responsibility. I know, it won't hold up in court, but . . . I use a little discretion according to the circumstances (e.g., if it's a parochial game). A little thin, I admit, but hey, I'm human. Also, if I'm the coach, my kids WON'T have any jewelry. If I see it on the other team's kids, I'll call it to the ref's attention, but it will be up to HIM to make the decision--not my job to insist the earings come out for that player, as long as MY players are legal. Just a different perspective, I guess.

[quote]

Ah, but I didn't mention that besides being a referee-on-leave and the coach, I am one of the directors for our basketball organization. I therefore feel that it *is* my obligation to make sure that all of the safety-related rules are followed whenever the game is being played at our facility or whenever one of our teams is involved, no matter where it is.

Besides, my question to you, as a referee, if you allowed a girl to play with her earrings taped, would be "Are there any other rules that you are going to suspend today? Would you like to tell me about them now or will I find out when it happens?"

My original post was not meant to be a complaint about referees. I still consider myself a referee. I posted with the intent of reminding everyone that perception is very important, and as a coach my perception of the referee who did not want to make the girl remove her earrings was not favorable. Basically, I felt that if he didn't have the guts to take care of the earrings, he wouldn't have the guts to make a big call during the game. Already he has lost credibility with me.