View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mrsref on 01-17-2000 12:17 PM
#1 Do not set aside any rule that has to do with safety. I am talking specifically about jewelry and hair thingys. At one game I noticed a player with earrings, mentioned it to the official, and was told "she can't take them out, she just got her ears pierced". I insisted that the rule be followed. Earrings can't come out, girl has to sit, tears start flowing. The official then tried to make me look like the bad guy keeping a little girl from playing basketball.
#3 Please understand the difference between a fumble and the start of a dribble. Remember a player may fumble-dribble-fumble but not dribble-fumble-dribble. Ten year olds fumble the ball a lot, especially receiving a pass. Just because the ball hits a player's hand(s) and then hits the floor does not mean a dribble has started. It may look ugly, but it is not necessarily a violation.

Good points all. However, I have to confess that on occasion, it just doesn't seem worth it to keep a little girl out of the game. I'm pretty straightforward about enforcing these things at all levels, but on an infrequent occasion I will allow the earings to stay if they are well taped up and the coach assumes responsibility. I know, it won't hold up in court, but . . . I use a little discretion according to the circumstances (e.g., if it's a parochial game). A little thin, I admit, but hey, I'm human. Also, if I'm the coach, my kids WON'T have any jewelry. If I see it on the other team's kids, I'll call it to the ref's attention, but it will be up to HIM to make the decision--not my job to insist the earings come out for that player, as long as MY players are legal. Just a different perspective, I guess.

Also, good point about the fumbling thing. I see a double-dribble called on that very situation too often even at the varsity level. How many of us have had a partner call double dribble in front of us because we properly held our whistles but he/she thought we missed it? I always cover that scenario in pre-game now, but it doesn't always work.