The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

dribble start with two hands

A player catches the ball with both hands and while driving to the basket pushes the floor with both hands, takes two steps and shoots. Is this a violation?
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 05:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooey1023
A player catches the ball with both hands and while driving to the basket pushes the floor with both hands, takes two steps and shoots. Is this a violation?
Maybe; maybe not.
Not enough information.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A dribble is started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball to the floor. There is no requirement that the dribble be started with one hand.

I do not know if the "two steps" was legal or illegal. Traveling is not dictated solely by how many steps a player takes. You would have to understand the concept of the pivot foot to know if it was traveling or not.

NFHS Rules: 4-15 and 4-42

Z
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 06:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
A dribble is started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball to the floor. There is no requirement that the dribble be started with one hand. Z
I think there was an old case book play stating it could not be started with more than two.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I think there was an old case book play stating it could not be started with more than two.
NFHS rules do not apply to alien basketball.

Z
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

sorry I should have been clearer. It was not a travel I was concerned with since he shot a layup and I don't think travelled. It was the dribbling with two hands. I thought that if this wasn't double dribbling then it should be palming since, if it is a "dribble" then it is one where the ball certainly has "come to rest" since catching and throwing it down seems to be exercising an inappropriate amount of control.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Sorry but it is still not clearer.

Double dribble does not mean dribbling with two hands; it means you dribble a second time after ending your dribble. It can not be palming either if the player did not dribble again.

Is it a travel? Was his pivot foot lifted and put back down before the ball was released on the shot? If so it is a travel.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 07:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
It was not a travel I was concerned with since he shot a layup and I don't think travelled. It was the dribbling with two hands. I thought that if this wasn't double dribbling then it should be palming since, if it is a "dribble" then it is one where the ball certainly has "come to rest" since catching and throwing it down seems to be exercising an inappropriate amount of control.
You can start a dribble with two hands. If you touch the ball after that again with two hands, that ends the dribble. If the ball also comes to rest in a dribbler's hands(palming), that ends the dribble also. The dribble ending either of those ways, by itself, is never illegal; it's what the player does after the touching or the ball coming to rest that ended his dribble that will decide whether he has commited a violation or not. If he dribbles again---> violation. If he establishes a pivot foot after he ended the dribble, then if he lifts that pivot foot and brings it back down ----> travel also.

Iow, what Jay R said.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In case you are interested, this is called a power dribble, occurs in almost every basketball game, and is usually the only dribble most coaches will allow a C or PF to use.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 09:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
In case you are interested, this is called a power dribble, occurs in almost every basketball game, and is usually the only dribble most coaches will allow a C or PF to use.
Darryl Dawkins' signature move.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

zooey -- think about a power dribble in the post -- thats one quick and hard dribble with two hands. nothing illeagle.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
zooey -- think about a power dribble in the post -- thats one quick and hard dribble with two hands. nothing illeagle.
Help, help, it's a sick bird!
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

the darryl d move is "right on target" with that move. I can see him now.