The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   dribble start with two hands (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28447-dribble-start-two-hands.html)

zooey1023 Sat Sep 23, 2006 05:24pm

dribble start with two hands

A player catches the ball with both hands and while driving to the basket pushes the floor with both hands, takes two steps and shoots. Is this a violation?

mick Sat Sep 23, 2006 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooey1023
A player catches the ball with both hands and while driving to the basket pushes the floor with both hands, takes two steps and shoots. Is this a violation?

Maybe; maybe not.
Not enough information.

zebraman Sat Sep 23, 2006 05:37pm

Quote:

A dribble is started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball to the floor. There is no requirement that the dribble be started with one hand.

I do not know if the "two steps" was legal or illegal. Traveling is not dictated solely by how many steps a player takes. You would have to understand the concept of the pivot foot to know if it was traveling or not.

NFHS Rules: 4-15 and 4-42

Z

Mark Padgett Sat Sep 23, 2006 06:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman
A dribble is started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball to the floor. There is no requirement that the dribble be started with one hand. Z

I think there was an old case book play stating it could not be started with more than two. :p

zebraman Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I think there was an old case book play stating it could not be started with more than two. :p

NFHS rules do not apply to alien basketball. :cool:

Z

zooey1023 Sun Sep 24, 2006 06:56am

sorry I should have been clearer. It was not a travel I was concerned with since he shot a layup and I don't think travelled. It was the dribbling with two hands. I thought that if this wasn't double dribbling then it should be palming since, if it is a "dribble" then it is one where the ball certainly has "come to rest" since catching and throwing it down seems to be exercising an inappropriate amount of control.

Jay R Sun Sep 24, 2006 07:36am

Sorry but it is still not clearer.

Double dribble does not mean dribbling with two hands; it means you dribble a second time after ending your dribble. It can not be palming either if the player did not dribble again.

Is it a travel? Was his pivot foot lifted and put back down before the ball was released on the shot? If so it is a travel.

Jurassic Referee Sun Sep 24, 2006 07:42am

Quote:

It was not a travel I was concerned with since he shot a layup and I don't think travelled. It was the dribbling with two hands. I thought that if this wasn't double dribbling then it should be palming since, if it is a "dribble" then it is one where the ball certainly has "come to rest" since catching and throwing it down seems to be exercising an inappropriate amount of control.

You can start a dribble with two hands. If you touch the ball after that again with two hands, that ends the dribble. If the ball also comes to rest in a dribbler's hands(palming), that ends the dribble also. The dribble ending either of those ways, by itself, is never illegal; it's what the player does after the touching or the ball coming to rest that ended his dribble that will decide whether he has commited a violation or not. If he dribbles again---> violation. If he establishes a pivot foot after he ended the dribble, then if he lifts that pivot foot and brings it back down ----> travel also.

Iow, what Jay R said.

Jimgolf Mon Sep 25, 2006 09:29am

Quote:

In case you are interested, this is called a power dribble, occurs in almost every basketball game, and is usually the only dribble most coaches will allow a C or PF to use.

Raymond Mon Sep 25, 2006 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
In case you are interested, this is called a power dribble, occurs in almost every basketball game, and is usually the only dribble most coaches will allow a C or PF to use.

Darryl Dawkins' signature move.

deecee Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:20pm

zooey -- think about a power dribble in the post -- thats one quick and hard dribble with two hands. nothing illeagle.

Nevadaref Mon Sep 25, 2006 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
zooey -- think about a power dribble in the post -- thats one quick and hard dribble with two hands. nothing illeagle.

Help, help, it's a sick bird! :D

zeke Mon Sep 25, 2006 05:16pm

the darryl d move is "right on target" with that move. I can see him now.