Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 10:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Wwwhhhheeeeeee---- eeewwwwwwww!!! I go out for groceries, and come back to find two of my favorite people tearing out hair, and poking out eyes!!

Jeff, now that I've got the hang of this popcorn thing, how about you join me in egging these guys on, eh? Anybody else? Don't forget that I bought it with salt....
I love salt. LOL!!!

Peace
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
And that is my point. Life is all "story problems and essay questions." It in no way resembles college exams. But in every college class I ever took there was a group in the back who were constantly whining, "Is this going to be on the test?". Sadly it is a predictably mindless reaction to an evironment that places too much emphasis on the worthless ability re-profess what the professor has professed. The last thing we want our universities to do is further reinforce the notion that answering test questions is what's important. That's my issue with Mwanr1's statement.

As for being locked in a room and left to solve problems, of course not. And what's more, often those problems have no well-known answers. Not only does a person need the ability to solve novel problems, but also the ability to evaluate their solutions to see if they really are solutions. And never once has the answer to a real problem been:

D) A and B, never C.

And rarely in real life has guessing "C" when I didn't know an answer work out well.

As for being an elitist prick: Every society needs a healthy supply of skilled and unskilled laborers. If all of the computer geeks and garbage collectors took the month off, there's no doubt which group would be missed most. However, just because a job is necessary, and honorable, doesn't make it desireable. People go to college so they don't have to collect garbage to pay the bills.

It's good to be me.
You want fries with that?
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
So let's say you're taking a course in...I dunno...let's say music of the 15th century. But you decide you'll have a fuller,richer life if you focus on music of the 18th century. "Screw you Dufay and your parallel fifths!" you say, "Mozart for me!!"

That's a good way to prepare, right?

Puh-leeze. You have no argument. Maybe you should take out the garbage?

and BTW...I've never, ever taken an advanced science or engineering course without the instructor telling us exactly what's to be on the final.

Too much to cover my small minded friend. Too much to cover.
No, it's more about being in the 15th century music class, not quite getting Dufay and his parallel fifths, and automatically asking, "Will this be on the test?" and using the answer as your only deciding factor as to whether or not you'll invest the time to try and understand the material.

I'm sorry to hear that your science and engineering instructors were forced to spoon feed you. I guess some people just can't cut it without that kind of pablum.

Most of the science and engineering courses I took had a significant final project rather than a final exam. There was no bull**** about "Will this be on the test?". You had to make it work. Period.

But then, maybe I went to an elitist prick kind of school.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
You want fries with that?
LOL. No, I'm an elitist prick. I never flipped burgers. I worked in pizza joints.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that your science and engineering instructors were forced to spoon feed you. I guess some people just can't cut it without that kind of pablum.
Yeah, we were all a bunch of lazy dummies.

But we can all proudly say we aren't elitist pricks, even to this day.

(You can use your superior critical thinking skills and intellect to infer who, exactly, we are not like.)
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This is way, way better than Rut and Tony slinging mud, or W&S getting nasty. I'm gonna need more than popcorn to get the full value out of this one...

PS Jeff, thanks for the help!!
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, we were all a bunch of lazy dummies.

But we can all proudly say we aren't elitist pricks, even to this day.

(You can use your superior critical thinking skills and intellect to infer who, exactly, we are not like.)
Yawn.
- The elitist prick
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is way, way better than Rut and Tony slinging mud, or W&S getting nasty. I'm gonna need more than popcorn to get the full value out of this one...

Needs more pepperoni
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Yawn.
- The elitist prick

Good for you. You're at least as smart (and trainable) as my dog Woddy.

Here ya go, you earned it...

Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hmm...peasants (and some middle-class slobs) eat popcorn, but pizza is only for the elite, right?

Ok, so I'm way late on the original topic, which, if I vaguely remember, is about the NFHS test. Our assoociation, in IL (same state as JRut), sets aside a meeting to go over the test every year. In IL, we need to complete the Part 1 test (open book), and turn it in by around Nov. 15th. The association meeting is usually before the state deadline. I would say most of the members have already done the test, and most of them already have their grades and answers back by the meeting. We go over each question, and there are discussions on some of the questions. It has never been implied, that I know of, that this was just a way of getting the answers. Are there some officials that use this meeting as a way to get the answers before turning them in? Probably, but not many. I would venture to guess the ones that do this are also not the top officials in the association, because the ones that want to be good also have the persistance and ability to go through the test on their own. I think the officials that take the short-cut of getting the answers without doing it on their own would be more likely to take other short-cuts in their game as well. And it will probably show at some point down the line.

Me, I go through the test beforehand because of fear - fear that I might miss or not know something that everyone else knows is obvious.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good for you. You're at least as smart (and trainable) as my dog Woddy.

Here ya go, you earned it...

Mmmm, I love these kind. And they clean my teeth.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I think the test should be on a monitor being animated and show real game situation and see if you can really identify when an infraction has occurred or not. The answer will then go right into a database and give you a score as quickly as you finish the test. let's get with the times.... Cheating is going to occur no matter where and when. It's just the cost of the technology.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Ok, so I'm way late on the original topic, which, if I vaguely remember, is about the NFHS test. Our assoociation, in IL (same state as JRut), sets aside a meeting to go over the test every year. In IL, we need to complete the Part 1 test (open book), and turn it in by around Nov. 15th. The association meeting is usually before the state deadline. I would say most of the members have already done the test, and most of them already have their grades and answers back by the meeting. We go over each question, and there are discussions on some of the questions. It has never been implied, that I know of, that this was just a way of getting the answers. Are there some officials that use this meeting as a way to get the answers before turning them in? Probably, but not many. I would venture to guess the ones that do this are also not the top officials in the association, because the ones that want to be good also have the persistance and ability to go through the test on their own. I think the officials that take the short-cut of getting the answers without doing it on their own would be more likely to take other short-cuts in their game as well. And it will probably show at some point down the line.

Me, I go through the test beforehand because of fear - fear that I might miss or not know something that everyone else knows is obvious.
Amen.

Also to piggy back on what you said, there is a group of officials that get together and we talk go over the test long before our local association does. We not only go over the answers, we give the reference and might discuss why the answer is true or false. Once again, this is an open book test. The test has to be completed this year by November 20 (according to the website) which is a week into the Girl's Basketball season and the first day of the Boy's Basketball season. It is not like the state is unaware that people could be going over the exam on some level. The test was made available online earlier this week, so that is two months to get the exam done. I do not have my new books yet and I am sure most officials do not, but if I wanted to complete the test based on what the new rules are and the POE, it is not hard to finish the exam.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The test was made available online earlier this week, so that is two months to get the exam done. JRutlege
Where can the test be found, is it online?
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_ Fred
Where can the test be found, is it online?
This is through our state, not to the nation.

Peace
Closed Thread