The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 10:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I've had a few interesting things happen in the recent days.

First: inadvertant whistle. We all know that an IW or losing a down are horrible game management elements. You just gotta apologize and move on. The game is STJ home to GCVI. This regular season game has playoff implications and basically the whole game was back and forth. Each team would stop the other when it counted: lots of changes of possession. GCVI did score 2 unconverted TDs in the 1st half.

Not until the 4th quarter did the next score come - STJ with a successful extra point. 12-7 GCVI. Late in the game (about 2 minutes), STJ scores again and misses their convert! 13-12 STJ.

GCVI ran the 2-minute drill great... clock management was excellent... and they got OOB when they needed to. Its comes down to 3rd and goal from 3, but they didn't know what play to run, so the QB spikes it. LOL That's IG in Canada. So... 4th (this HS league uses 4 downs) and goal from the 3 or 4th and goal from the 5. STJ chooses the 5.

Now... as a pre-cursor, a FGA attempt from within the 10 is the R's call (yes, I'm the WH), and outside the 10 is the deep guy's call. Well, since we're from the 5 (GCVI decides to go for the FG since there's only 2 seconds left on the clock, and will only have one more play), it is my call. Made FG = GCVI win. Missed FG is treated as a punt.

BUT... converts are also done from the 5 and when the ball is kicked, the R is to immediately blow his whistle. And statistically, the R will rule upon *maybe* 1 FGA per 3 years - I mean it is very rare.

So what do I do? As soon as the FG kicker kicks the FGA, I blow my whistle because I was into convert mode (I think the FG being attempted from the 5 had something to do with it... being a mental cue kicked me into convert mode).

So I blow my whistle (the IW) and what happens to the FG? Wide left. Rule book states that B has the option: give up a point (rouge) or let the offense try again (down repeated)... but I get bailed out becuase the FGA landed OB past the the EZ... rule book says that in this case, since no return is possible, the IW is ignored, but score 1 point (the infamous Canadian "rouge"). So it now ends up 13-13.

Second: regarding the earlier post of protecting the new guy... I had to do this with a new official (a female actually, and a teenager). She's **very** knowledgeable about the game. Two coaches run towards her (but stay OB) and strongly voice their misguided opinion. I see the deer in headlights look on her face. I run over to the coaches and handle them. As the recruiter in my area, I will do whatever I can to retain officials. It is tough to find new officials here in southern-western Ontario.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Holy cow...Canadian football sounds much different than NFHS.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

That's why he has that sig!

James
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CABA
Exclamation

@ jugref

donĀ“t do that:

- I run over to the coaches and handle them.

She has to learn to be a female ref in a mans world.
And what you mean to helf her?
She only loose face in front of the coaches, couse you think you have to handle the situation. That is her job!!!
I know by myselve, how hard it will be as an female ref on field. But she have to do it by herselfe.
As the recruter of the aria, you can only help her and give her in the first time more games with " nice " coaches or she will work as a ref in the middle.

It also neet more than 1 or 2 years for the coaches to accept her. but it wil only work, if you let her handle it alone.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

As a new official I've got a different take on things. I've been officiating for 2 years and finally threw my first flag on a coach last week. I've had the deer in headlights look many times in the past. It was the more experienced officials who have helped me to draw the line I use to determine when I've heard enough. It's hard being a new official. My biggest concern when dealing with coaches is that I'm not letting them get away with enough. In basketball I keep the coaches in line. The nature of football allows coaches a bit more room for yelling at people. This adjustment was hard, but with the help of more senior officials helping me deal with coaches, I'm now able to deal with them on my own.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
As a new official I've got a different take on things. I've been officiating for 2 years and finally threw my first flag on a coach last week. I've had the deer in headlights look many times in the past. It was the more experienced officials who have helped me to draw the line I use to determine when I've heard enough. It's hard being a new official. My biggest concern when dealing with coaches is that I'm not letting them get away with enough. In basketball I keep the coaches in line. The nature of football allows coaches a bit more room for yelling at people. This adjustment was hard, but with the help of more senior officials helping me deal with coaches, I'm now able to deal with them on my own.
Some good guidlines as to when to draw the line. Anytime the attack becomes personal you should end it. Anytime the coach continues to complain about somthing that happened plays ago is a time the conversation should end. If at any time it turns disrespectful you should draw the line. So are some good general guidlines.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes

If at any time it turns disrespectful you should draw the line. So are some good general guidlines.
Disresepectful without being a 'personal attack' (*****ing WAY too much and causing a headache). Would you tend to just say 'That's enough coach' or give a sideline warning?
Usually these headache cases (in my area) are also encroaching in the official's area so it's not too much of a problem.
Just a question.

James
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrye22
Disresepectful without being a 'personal attack' (*****ing WAY too much and causing a headache). Would you tend to just say 'That's enough coach' or give a sideline warning?
Usually these headache cases (in my area) are also encroaching in the official's area so it's not too much of a problem.
Just a question.
That's kind of the hard part, you have to handle things case by case. Depends what the coach is saying to you. One of the pitfalls most officials have is threatening: "One more word and I'm going to give you a penalty." then he says a word and you don't penalize him. If you say you're going to do somthing and don't do it when it happens, it looks really bad. If you have to threaten then you better follow through. My favorite lines are "I'll watch out for it coach" or "That's enough Coach" is a pretty good line to.

Really the sideline warning is for the coaches box, having more than 3 coaches or players in the box, but I have seen it used for taking care of yapping coaches. Even though that is not what it should be used for it is pretty effective.