Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 07:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
What about L-Sat classes or S.A.T. classes? They have sample questions too, correct? Why not for our tests then??
These aren't sample questions that we're talking about. We're talking about the actual exam. Heckuva difference.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
These aren't sample questions that we're talking about. We're talking about the actual exam. Heckuva difference.
Perhaps someone should make a sample exam based on the questions that were on the actual exam. For example (I found this question in the IAABO REF SCHOOL PROGRAM),

"Official rules that the new retangular backboard must have padding along the entire bottom and at least 15 inches up the side"

Is this correct?

The answer is Yes. We can re-word the question and make it harder to answer by not asking a yes/no question.

"Retangular backboard must have padding along the entire bottom and at leasta minimum of ___ inches up the side."

I still need to refer to the rulebook/mechanic/case book to get the answer for this question. But there are no gurantee in which this question will be on the test. This question is simply just there to help study. So if such tool can help those who really wants to learn, why keep it away from us?
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
As a follow-up to my earlier post...the refresher test IS given to students taking the class as a study guide for the real test given in late November for prospective officials. But having the actual test ahead of time with answers readily available for the purpose of qualifying to become a certified official is cheating. Having the answers to the real test afterwards is helpful for the in season prep in pre-games, on drives to games, etc.

I guess the big question is: Do you want some guy who has no clue on the rules but can memorize a test on the floor with a whistle? [Or in the coach's box where he belongs. ]
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Perhaps someone should make a sample exam based on the questions that were on the actual exam. For example (I found this question in the IAABO REF SCHOOL PROGRAM),
Somebody does.....IAABO.

They issue a refresher exam every year. I get it from a friend but I think that you can get it off the IAABO website also. I know that IAABO does post the answers on their site. I write it every year for exactly what it's called- a refresher.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Brilliant idea. Because, after all, life is a neverceasing series of one test question after another. And if we can just remember all those questions on those sample tests, we'll all be wildly successful and prosperous.

But wait, my boss and my wife and my kids keep asking me questions that were never on any test I ever took in college. And then there are all the daily challenges and problems that we never talked about in class.

Good think I actually learned how to learn and think and solve problems instead of worrying about what questions might be on a test. I mean, I'd hate to end up like the complete ****ing idiots in the back of the classroom who were always asking, "Will this be on the test?"

But perhaps I'm being too harsh. After all, every society needs people to collect the garbage.
Maybe you're being too harsh because you have deluded yourself into believing that tests in school are the same as the tests we see in real life. When your boss/wife/kid asks you a question do they lock you in a room & expect you to come up with an answer all by your self? I doubt it.

And btw, anybody who would say "every society needs people to collect the garbage" is a elitist prick. Sad to be you.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
And btw, anybody who would say "every society needs people to collect the garbage" is a elitist prick. Sad to be you.
The guys that collect the garbage can make a lot of money with great benefits.

I do understand where you are coming from though.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
What exactly do you mean by "Certification?" In our state we still have to pass the test. If you do not actually pass the test you will put yourself on probation that will make you ineligible for post season and possibly suspend your license if you do not pass the test two years in a row. I would call our situation as a kind of "certification." In my opinion the test is just a minor part of what we have to do before the season.

Peace
JRut:

Across the Mississippi the state of MO uses NFHS Part I in the "certification" process when you first register to become an official in MO. Then MO uses Part II as a refresher for all officials that is to be completed sometime in Jan.

We don't have different "levels" like IL does. Licensed, registered, certified is all the same. I think our official term is "registered".

To Simplify the MO process it's:

New guy:
$Fee
Part I (Sept ???)
State approved mechanics
State Rules meeting
Part II test in Jan

First 3 years:

$Fee
State approved mechanics
State Rules meeting
Part II in Jan

Therafter:

$Fee
State Rules meeting
Part II in Jan

A local association may have other requirements above and beyond.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BITS
Because, after all, life is a neverceasing series of one test question after another. And if we can just remember all those questions on those sample tests, we'll all be wildly successful and prosperous.

But wait, my boss and my wife and my kids keep asking me questions that were never on any test I ever took in college. And then there are all the daily challenges and problems that we never talked about in class.

Good think I actually learned how to learn and think and solve problems instead of worrying about what questions might be on a test. I mean, I'd hate to end up like the complete ****ing idiots in the back of the classroom who were always asking, "Will this be on the test?"

But perhaps I'm being too harsh. After all, every society needs people to collect the garbage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Maybe you're being too harsh because you have deluded yourself into believing that tests in school are the same as the tests we see in real life. When your boss/wife/kid asks you a question do they lock you in a room & expect you to come up with an answer all by your self? I doubt it.

http://www.bullochrec.com/Images/Cli...es/popcorn.jpg

doggone it, it's supposed to be a picture of some popcorn. Somebody help this poor old techno-clueless granny, please!
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 12:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Here you go.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

Here you go.

Peace
Thanks, Jeff. You can have some, too, if you don't mind the salt.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 01:57am
Do not give a damn!!

I love salt. I might have to change that down the road, but hey I am still young.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

In Indiana you have to pass NFHS Exam Part 1 to become registered...then after 2 years you can take NFHS Exam Part 2 to become Certified and then Professional after that. All are open book.

From what I've seen of the Exam the NHFS uses the same questions every year and just mixes them up alittle, rewords a few, and adds something on any rule changes.

So if you want a good study guide...get the last two years tests and use them. Most are available online.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Why do we go through this every year? Do people really, after reading the rule book a small amount of time, get less than a 90 on the test?? It's true/false...you can get 50% just by guessing. If you have ANY knowledge of rules and have at least opened the book, there is no reason this should be such a source of angst.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 03:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Why do we go through this every year? Do people really, after reading the rule book a small amount of time, get less than a 90 on the test?? It's true/false...you can get 50% just by guessing. If you have ANY knowledge of rules and have at least opened the book, there is no reason this should be such a source of angst.
I totally agree. If you have been doing this more than 3 or 4 seasons your accumulated reading, knowledge, and common sense should carry you to at least an 80 without actually "studying".
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 04:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I totally agree. If you have been doing this more than 3 or 4 seasons your accumulated reading, knowledge, and common sense should carry you to at least an 80 without actually "studying".
I disagree with that statement. Not everyone is skilled at taking tests even those that involve true or false answers. Also many of the questions are not everyday, common sense questions. Most officials do not know the exact measurements of the lines, basketball or what the numbers are on the shirt are supposed to be. If the NF wanted to test real knowledge, they would stop asking true and false questions and trying to trick people with one word.

Also, all you have to do is study old tests and you will see the same questions asked over and over again. This is why the ARS program is so good.

Peace
Closed Thread