View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
So let's say you're taking a course in...I dunno...let's say music of the 15th century. But you decide you'll have a fuller,richer life if you focus on music of the 18th century. "Screw you Dufay and your parallel fifths!" you say, "Mozart for me!!"

That's a good way to prepare, right?

Puh-leeze. You have no argument. Maybe you should take out the garbage?

and BTW...I've never, ever taken an advanced science or engineering course without the instructor telling us exactly what's to be on the final.

Too much to cover my small minded friend. Too much to cover.
No, it's more about being in the 15th century music class, not quite getting Dufay and his parallel fifths, and automatically asking, "Will this be on the test?" and using the answer as your only deciding factor as to whether or not you'll invest the time to try and understand the material.

I'm sorry to hear that your science and engineering instructors were forced to spoon feed you. I guess some people just can't cut it without that kind of pablum.

Most of the science and engineering courses I took had a significant final project rather than a final exam. There was no bull**** about "Will this be on the test?". You had to make it work. Period.

But then, maybe I went to an elitist prick kind of school.