View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
And that is my point. Life is all "story problems and essay questions." It in no way resembles college exams. But in every college class I ever took there was a group in the back who were constantly whining, "Is this going to be on the test?". Sadly it is a predictably mindless reaction to an evironment that places too much emphasis on the worthless ability re-profess what the professor has professed. The last thing we want our universities to do is further reinforce the notion that answering test questions is what's important. That's my issue with Mwanr1's statement.

As for being locked in a room and left to solve problems, of course not. And what's more, often those problems have no well-known answers. Not only does a person need the ability to solve novel problems, but also the ability to evaluate their solutions to see if they really are solutions. And never once has the answer to a real problem been:

D) A and B, never C.

And rarely in real life has guessing "C" when I didn't know an answer work out well.

As for being an elitist prick: Every society needs a healthy supply of skilled and unskilled laborers. If all of the computer geeks and garbage collectors took the month off, there's no doubt which group would be missed most. However, just because a job is necessary, and honorable, doesn't make it desireable. People go to college so they don't have to collect garbage to pay the bills.

It's good to be me.
You want fries with that?