Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 03:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I'm just saying from what I read Zeke wasn't imposing his thoughts or experiences as being "the right and only way" nor that his experiences as a D1 officials were anymore relevant than anyone else's experiences.

I have met "Zeke" at a camp and he is very approachable and open for discussion and/or debate.

From my own personal experiences and from reading what "Zeke" has posted here, I do not see the "I'm right because I'm a D1 official" attitude that you attribute to "Zeke". JMHO.
BadsNews, if you look back, the exact quote from Zeke was "Don't question my handling of coaches", followed by his resume. If you think that isn't imposing his thoughts or experiences, so be it. Personally, I can't see any other way to interpret it.

JMHO too.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, that's interesting.

Does that also mean that Chuck's opinion should have more credibility than yours now if Chuck does some D1 games this year, which is a real possibility? And Tony's opinion should have more credibility than yours because he's worked state finals in 2 sports and you haven't? And Zeke's opinion is always right...say...compared to Mick or BobJ's opinion?
geeze...I never get included in these lists...

Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 03:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
And Zeke's opinion is always right...say...compared to Mick....
Absolutely !
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 03:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

And Dan's opinion should be more credible because...well....he's Dan.

And never the twain shall meet....

Even on the twain twack....
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
And I shouldn't be included. I'm such an idiot. LOL. (This is an inside joke that only Dan understands. Although I'm sure most people here knew that I'm an idiot.)
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well, that's interesting.

Does that also mean that Chuck's opinion should have more credibility than yours now if Chuck does some D1 games this year, which is a real possibility? And Tony's opinion should have more credibility than yours because he's worked state finals in 2 sports and you haven't? And Zeke's opinion is always right...say...compared to Mick or BobJ's opinion?
That is up to the people that read this board. I cannot speak for others that read this board. I would say if Chuck did get there and stayed there, it would add a lot to his how I view him. Partly because I have some idea of what it takes to get there. If you are a D1 official, someone is putting their job on the line to hire you. It is not like supervisors just put someone in place that has not earned some trust and proven on some level they can do the job.

Quote:
And how do you know that some of the other opinion-givers on this forum aren't D1 officials also if they don't broadcast their resumes?
So do you want a guy that works D1 only to talk about the JH or JV games they work? I also did not read where Zeke said, "I am a D1 official and you are not." I think he stated he works that level and a certain technique seems to work for him. I have heard guys broadcast they worked State Finals and I do not see the same point of view made when that has taken place (and it happens much more often). At least a D1 official beat about thousands of officials for that one slot. He has my respect even if I would feel that he was not a better official than others here.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
And Dan's opinion should be more credible because...well....he's Dan.

And never the twain shall meet....

Even on the twain twack....
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
That is up to the people that read this board. I cannot speak for others that read this board. I would say if Chuck did get there and stayed there, it would add a lot to his how I view him. Partly because I have some idea of what it takes to get there. If you are a D1 official, someone is putting their job on the line to hire you. It is not like supervisors just put someone in place that has not earned some trust and proven on some level they can do the job.

So do you want a guy that works D1 only to talk about the JH or JV games they work? I also did not read where Zeke said, "I am a D1 official and you are not." I think he stated he works that level and a certain technique seems to work for him. I have heard guys broadcast they worked State Finals and I do not see the same point of view made when that has taken place (and it happens much more often). At least a D1 official beat about thousands of officials for that one slot. He has my respect even if I would feel that he was not a better official than others here.

Peace
Let's not forget that some referees get/don't get D1 contracts/opportunities because of where they live. I have personally had this very conversation with a D1 assignor. There are some officials that aren't particularly great that get jobs and others that are better that don't for this reason alone. I personally have also worked with referees who have strong ties to assignors that get jobs because they are loyal to that person, not because they are the best referee available. I don't necessarily think that this makes a referee more credible.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
Let's not forget that some referees get/don't get D1 contracts/opportunities because of where they live. I have personally had this very conversation with a D1 assignor. There are some officials that aren't particularly great that get jobs and others that are better that don't for this reason alone. I personally have also worked with referees who have strong ties to assignors that get jobs because they are loyal to that person, not because they are the best referee available. I don't necessarily think that this makes a referee more credible.
There are a lot of factors as to why people do not get a shot at the Division 1 level. Even with those small factors, it is not like the average official is going to get that kind of opportunity.

You show me someone that is hired at any job, I will show you someone who is just as qualified but did not get the same opportunity. It is a myth in this world that the "most qualified" get all the jobs. That is not true in any job in or outside of officiating. And when you get a D1 official that has finally made it, they are scrutinized on a level most of us would not be able to handle.

I know when I work my games; no one is telling me what I did right or wrong, every trip up and down the floor. I might only hear about something when I mess up or if a coach complains. It is a completely different level of scrutiny that does that and many of the best officials would not be able to handle that.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to open myself for some criticism, but here we go. Everyone on this thread brings value. Yes some people due judge what others may say or comments they make. Some of us may come across as they are better than others. I think we are dealing with ego and the way we may respond may be interpreted differently than what was meant. (I know Chuck is going to correct my grammar that's ok) Just like the rules as much as some are clear cut some are left to interpretation and can be interpreted differently. We all bring a lot of experience (except me only 6 years) and we all won't agree with each other. I found this thread to be a place where I can share or learn something without being judged. I bet more people would possible share but are afraid to because someone is going to jump (over the back ) get joke. So there!!!!
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's easy

Coach: "HEY CHUCK! GET YER HEAD OUTTAYERAZZ! YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!

Chuck: "whisper whisper whisper..."

Coach: "WHA???! HOW CAN I HEAR YOU FROM ALL THE WAY OVER THERE??!"

Chuck: "whisper whisper whisper..."

Yeah, it's a pretty dumb statement JR made. Maybe he needs a time out?
Well said.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 04:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke
Well said.
[sigh !]
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That sentence tells me all I need to know about you, Zeke.

Don't question your handling of coaches? Excuse my language, but you can go straight to hell. If I don't agree with any of your posts, I sureshell am gonna question 'em. That's the whole idea of this forum; not just swallowing the kool-aid.

And believe me, I also sureashell am not as impressed at all with your credentials as you obviously are. Why don't you post your complete resume, Mr. Big Time? Do you really think that's gonna change my mind? There's other D1 officials on this forum, on both the Mens and Womens sides. I don't see them saying "I'm right because I'm a D1 official". There's also quite a few posters with solid D2, D3 and NAIA schedules. There are plenty of officials here also that are excellent high school officials, and because of job or family committments have chosen not to follow the college route. It hasn't stopped them from doing state championships and having other officiating accomplishments. It also doesn't mean that they are automatically not as good as you are, believe it or not.

If you think that you are always right simply because you are a D1 official, then I think that you really, really need a reality check. All you're doing is telling everybody below your exalted (in your mind) level that "you peons don't know squat". Well, that's just wrong as far as I'm concerned, Zeke.

I've never posted my resume ever on this site. That's because anything that I, or anyone else, that makes a post here should be judged on the merits of that post alone, not on the pedigree of the poster, as you seem to believe.

Iow, condensed version, I still disagree with you, Zeke. Get over it.
I'm going against what I said would be my last comment on this but here we go. First, the comment of my resume was meant as this is not first rodeo. I treat others as peers. No different. I didn't state what I said to offend anyone. you took it and totally twisted it. Would you perfer that I make suggestions if I only work pick up games at the YMCA. I respect officials at all areas. If I offended you that wasn't my original intent but its obvious this forum is not the proper one for us to have this conversation. To many gaps and misinterpetations. Thank you. I'm over it. Peace be with you.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke
I didn't state what I said to offend anyone. you took it and totally twisted it.
I didn't twist anything. I reacted to what you wrote.

I don't intend to get in any flame wars with you, but I'll also stick with my original impression of you.

'Nuff said.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't twist anything. I reacted to what you wrote.

I don't intend to get in any flame wars with you, but I'll also stick with my original impression of you.

'Nuff said.
No problem. That impression and your opinion I value. I always welcome the experience and worth of my fellow brothern in this cruel advocation. Every level is relevent. This isn't personal for me. I'm not here to form a opinion or impression just to learn and help. Its sad that you have to hate me because of a forum. Real sad.
Closed Thread