The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 T's on me? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/28346-2-ts-me.html)

angryZebra Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:04am

2 T's on me?

8th gr boys tourny, actually it's tryouts for their school district, so they play 5min running qtrs... I'm working solo since thats all they pay for, 5th game of the day, during an intermission, the "director" comes up to me and informs me that parents are complaining that I'm not calling all the contact and that I should start calling more fouls, because if I don't have the game more under control someone is going to get hurt. I explained what incidental contact was and she walked away. minutes later another director comes up, (by the way neither of these "directors" even had the courtesy or professionalism to introduce themselves prior to the game starting). so this director walks up says don't you know this is competitive basketball and we feel you don't belong out here and we are going to take step 2 and either you can leave or go to the other gym where its less competitive. all this has been said right smak in front of all the fans. after finishing the qtr, I discussed it with the official on the neighboring court and he suggested that if the directors were not supportive I should just leave.
So I did.
ever seen that happen?:D

by the way, I've been reffing for years....

Jurassic Referee Mon Sep 18, 2006 01:03am

Not worth the money to take the abuse.

Buh-bye.

Personally, I wouldn't have waited until the end of the quarter.

BktBallRef Mon Sep 18, 2006 01:09am

Why even put yourself in a position where you have to work 5 games by yourself? Is that the kind of ball you normally work? :confused:

mick Mon Sep 18, 2006 06:04am

In the past, in order to get on the floor during pre-season, I have worked for one official's wages with a partner. We split the check and got a tune-up.
mick

Ref_ Fred Mon Sep 18, 2006 06:55am

Quote:

Not worth the money to take the abuse.

Buh-bye.

Personally, I wouldn't have waited until the end of the quarter.
Today 05:04am
Jurrasic Referee
I agree with JR. NOT worth that. they didn't even speak to you in private. Bull crap..

26 Year Gap Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:09am

You also could have asked them if they were from Mars if you know what I mean.

And what kind of moron has parents in the stands for tryouts? Talk about starting fires so you have to put them out later.

tjones1 Mon Sep 18, 2006 01:49pm

Not worth it... if for some odd reason I had a metal whistle in my pocket... I would of handed it to the director and said call the game you want then -- see ya!

26 Year Gap Mon Sep 18, 2006 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
Not worth it... if for some odd reason I had a metal whistle in my pocket... I would of handed it to the director and said call the game you want then -- see ya!

Take the pea out first ahead of time though.:D

And Chuck would likely say 'would have' not 'would of'.

ChrisSportsFan Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:08pm

Let's just say they had a scheduling mess up for the first game. I'd have stayed and worked it but bye bye for game #2 if help has not arrived yet.

Let's just say I was still there when the director thought it was a good idea to say something about my calls, he'd have just volunteered to take over that court as "I know for reals I'd been Audi!":cool:

JRutledge Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
In the past, in order to get on the floor during pre-season, I have worked for one official's wages with a partner. We split the check and got a tune-up.
mick

Usually during the pre-season we might work for no money or a partial fee as well. I do not ever know that we do not have a least 2 officials. HS scrimmages usually involve 3 officials.

I would have stayed and worked by myself a game of this nature, even if there was a mess up. I would not tolerate this kind of disrespect considering I am working by myself. I would have gone home on my own.

Peace

Texas Aggie Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:44pm

>>"director" comes up to me and informs me that parents are complaining <<

I'd stop him right here and say, "sir, I'm not interested in their complaints."

>>because if I don't have the game more under control someone is going to get hurt.<<

IF he gets off this idiotic statement, I calmly explain to him that this statement is total BS. The game is already under control and calls on contact that is not illegal does not gain control, even if it were lost. Finally, a whistle is never going to heal an injury, so foul calls and injuries are totally independent of each other.

If he's still standing there, I take the whistle out of my pocket and say, "since I'm the only one here, then you take this whistle and assist me.

just another ref Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:21am

Also, the fact that this is tryouts indicates that the players have had little or no coaching up to this point probably. If this is a group of aggressive 8th graders with a limited skill level, in the first place no way one ref is going to see all the contact, and in the second place, all the whistles in the world will not stop it.

dave30 Tue Sep 19, 2006 04:33am

I think I would have had some fun with it by blowing the whistle on every single contact and near-contact. Anything that remotely resembles the possibility of contact gets a whistle! It's a running clock...see if I can foul everybody out! You want whistles....you got whistles!!! Maybe they might possibly get the message.

zeke Tue Sep 19, 2006 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by angryZebra
8th gr boys tourny, actually it's tryouts for their school district, so they play 5min running qtrs... I'm working solo since thats all they pay for, 5th game of the day, during an intermission, the "director" comes up to me and informs me that parents are complaining that I'm not calling all the contact and that I should start calling more fouls, because if I don't have the game more under control someone is going to get hurt. I explained what incidental contact was and she walked away. minutes later another director comes up, (by the way neither of these "directors" even had the courtesy or professionalism to introduce themselves prior to the game starting). so this director walks up says don't you know this is competitive basketball and we feel you don't belong out here and we are going to take step 2 and either you can leave or go to the other gym where its less competitive. all this has been said right smak in front of all the fans. after finishing the qtr, I discussed it with the official on the neighboring court and he suggested that if the directors were not supportive I should just leave.
So I did.
ever seen that happen?:D

by the way, I've been reffing for years....

This is an example of where we r today as a society. Suggestion: whenever someone say something to you as stupid as these two just repeat it back to them... so let me get this straight. I'm out here away from my family working 5 games that are normally worked by three doing a job that can not be judge by the bias eye. and you are suppose to be neutral and a manager not a peacemaker. Either you want me to do my job and get through this and u do yours or you can continue to try to please everyone and ref these yourself. Ur chioce. Either way you will pay me.
hint; whenever u ref one stand on the coaches side of the floor. That way you see everything they see.

Raymond Tue Sep 19, 2006 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeke
whenever u ref one-man stand on the coaches side of the floor. That way you see everything they see.

Thanks Zeke, never thought of that.