Thread: 2 T's on me?
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
Let's not forget that some referees get/don't get D1 contracts/opportunities because of where they live. I have personally had this very conversation with a D1 assignor. There are some officials that aren't particularly great that get jobs and others that are better that don't for this reason alone. I personally have also worked with referees who have strong ties to assignors that get jobs because they are loyal to that person, not because they are the best referee available. I don't necessarily think that this makes a referee more credible.
There are a lot of factors as to why people do not get a shot at the Division 1 level. Even with those small factors, it is not like the average official is going to get that kind of opportunity.

You show me someone that is hired at any job, I will show you someone who is just as qualified but did not get the same opportunity. It is a myth in this world that the "most qualified" get all the jobs. That is not true in any job in or outside of officiating. And when you get a D1 official that has finally made it, they are scrutinized on a level most of us would not be able to handle.

I know when I work my games; no one is telling me what I did right or wrong, every trip up and down the floor. I might only hear about something when I mess up or if a coach complains. It is a completely different level of scrutiny that does that and many of the best officials would not be able to handle that.

Peace