Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Who pushed the encounter ? Me?
Did I confront the coach, or approach the coach, or make myself available to the coach ?
Dunno.
In order:

1. Not you
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes

In any event, and I think this is Chuck's point (geeze I HATE that we agree), there's quite a difference between a private conversation and a public confrontation. That's all.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I'm sure that's true, Mick. But you can't use them when you're standing on the other side of the floor. That's my point. JR disagrees with me. For the life of me, I can't understand why.
Um, didn't I say too in a post above that you can walk across the floor? Note that I didn't say that you also had to necessarily stop the game to do so. You do what feel's right at that particular point in the game to keep the game moving and under control. If it's stopping the game for a second, fine. If it's going over when you get a chance, that's fine too imo.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
In any event, and I think this is Chuck's point (geeze I HATE that we agree), there's quite a difference between a private conversation and a public confrontation. That's all.
Can someone point out to me where I said in any post to date that you should have a public confrontation? Going over to quietly answer a coach's concerns is hardly a public confrontation imo. It's only a public confrontation if the coach wants to make it a public confrontation when you get over there.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
In order:

1. Not you
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes

I think the only difference is game stoppage.

If the table-side official turns away from the players during a dead ball, or if the official jogs 50' across the court, the difference is infinitesimal.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Um, didn't I say too in a post above that you can walk across the floor? If it's stopping the game for a second, fine. If it's going over when you get a chance, that's fine too imo.
Jeez, I must be speaking Russian or something. If you're crossing the floor to have that conversation, JR, then you're not on the opposite side of the court anymore!

To recap: You said you could use the exact same game management skills from the opposite side of the court. I disagree.

Now you say that you can use the exact same game management skills from the opposite side of the court as long you cross the court first. Finally, I agree.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Jeez, I must be speaking Russian or something. If you're crossing the floor to have that conversation, JR, then you're not on the opposite side of the court anymore!

To recap: You said you could use the exact same game management skills from the opposite side of the court. I disagree.

Now you say that you can use the exact same game management skills from the opposite side of the court as long you cross the court first. Finally, I agree.
It's no suprise that you both agree.
The only difference on the subject I saw was whether crossing the floor was a mechanic or was it game management technique.
Looked like a mechanic semantic to me.
mick
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
It's no suprise that you both agree.
The only reason we now agree is that JR is no longer talking about being on the opposite side of the court. That's the part that I objected to. You can't have that quiet conversation while you're standing opposite the table, no matter how good your game management skills are.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The only reason we now agree is that JR is no longer talking about being on the opposite side of the court. That's the part that I objected to. You can't have that quiet conversation while you're standing opposite the table, no matter how good your game management skills are.
And you know that JR and that coach cannot sign?
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 01:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke
Don't question my handling of coaches...I never implied I was out to please anyone. And I take exception to that. how do you get please out of being on the same side of the court and having the same view. I think having refereed in some of those most prestige leagues in the country and double figure years in the NCAA tournament....I might have a little clue on how to deal with coaches.
Quote:

If you think that you are always right simply because you are a D1 official, then I think that you really, really need a reality check. All you're doing is telling everybody below your exalted (in your mind) level that "you peons don't know squat". Well, that's just wrong as far as I'm concerned, Zeke.

JR,

Nowhere in Zeke's posts did he convey the type of message you are saying he did. He is saying what has worked for him. Obviously it is has been successful for him.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck, I'm staying out of this one! LOL!
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
JR,

Nowhere in Zeke's posts did he convey the type of message you are saying he did. He is saying what has worked for him. Obviously it is has been successful for him.
BadNewsRef,

I agree with you on this. I think this is the case where people on the internet like to make a mountain out of a molehill. I guess if you mention anything you have done and what success it has that has to be giving your resume. Then certain people can say how many state finals they have worked and that is OK. Oh well, another day in the life.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
JR,

He is saying what has worked for him. Obviously it is has been successful for him.
And I'm saying that the opposite has worked for me..... and if it worked for me, then just as obviously my method was successful for me also.

Or were implying something else?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 02:26pm.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And I'm saying that the opposite has worked for me..... and if it worked for me, then just as obviously it was successful for me also.

Or are you also saying that Zeke's opinion has to be right because he is an NCAA D1 official?
Is not most of this discussion based on each of our opinion? I do not know anything we have talked about in this thread that did not deal with an opinion.

I would agree that a D1 official in itself does not make their opinion right, but it sure means they have a little more credibility with me and many others that are reading this than someone who is not on the level.

I do not think right or wrong is an issue. After all we are talking opinion.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 03:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Is not most of this discussion based on each of our opinion? I do not know anything we have talked about in this thread that did not deal with an opinion.

I would agree that a D1 official in itself does not make their opinion right, but it sure means they have a little more credibility with me and many others that are reading this than someone who is not on the level.

I do not think right or wrong is an issue. After all we are talking opinion.
Well, that's interesting.

Does that also mean that Chuck's opinion should have more credibility than yours now if Chuck does some D1 games this year, which is a real possibility? And Tony's opinion should have more credibility than yours because he's worked state finals in 2 sports and you haven't? And Zeke's opinion is always right...say...compared to Mick or BobJ's opinion?

I'll haveta remember that enlightened logic the next time that you and Chuck get into it.

And how do you know that some of the other opinion-givers on this forum aren't D1 officials also if they don't broadcast their resumes?

I do agree with this thread being nothing but personal opinion though.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 03:13pm.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 03:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Talking

Quote:
And I'm saying that the opposite has worked for me..... and if it worked for me, then just as obviously my method was successful for me also.

Or were implying something else?
I'm just saying from what I read Zeke wasn't imposing his thoughts or experiences as being "the right and only way" nor that his experiences as a D1 officials were anymore relevant than anyone else's experiences.

I have met "Zeke" at a camp and he is very approachable and open for discussion and/or debate.

From my own personal experiences and from reading what "Zeke" has posted here, I do not see the "I'm right because I'm a D1 official" attitude that you attribute to "Zeke". JMHO.