The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 09:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke
Don't question my handling of coaches...I never implied I was out to please anyone. And I take exception to that. how do you get please out of being on the same side of the court and having the same view. I think having refereed in some of those most prestige leagues in the country and double figure years in the NCAA tournament....I might have a little clue on how to deal with coaches.
That sentence tells me all I need to know about you, Zeke.

Don't question your handling of coaches? Excuse my language, but you can go straight to hell. If I don't agree with any of your posts, I sureshell am gonna question 'em. That's the whole idea of this forum; not just swallowing the kool-aid.

And believe me, I also sureashell am not as impressed at all with your credentials as you obviously are. Why don't you post your complete resume, Mr. Big Time? Do you really think that's gonna change my mind? There's other D1 officials on this forum, on both the Mens and Womens sides. I don't see them saying "I'm right because I'm a D1 official". There's also quite a few posters with solid D2, D3 and NAIA schedules. There are plenty of officials here also that are excellent high school officials, and because of job or family committments have chosen not to follow the college route. It hasn't stopped them from doing state championships and having other officiating accomplishments. It also doesn't mean that they are automatically not as good as you are, believe it or not.

If you think that you are always right simply because you are a D1 official, then I think that you really, really need a reality check. All you're doing is telling everybody below your exalted (in your mind) level that "you peons don't know squat". Well, that's just wrong as far as I'm concerned, Zeke.

I've never posted my resume ever on this site. That's because anything that I, or anyone else, that makes a post here should be judged on the merits of that post alone, not on the pedigree of the poster, as you seem to believe.

Iow, condensed version, I still disagree with you, Zeke. Get over it.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 10:22am.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 09:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
How can you have a quiet conversation with a coach from the opposite side of the court?
Um, walk across the court maybe?

Chuck, this ain't a freaking NCAA game. It's a kid's game that you're trying to work alone.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Blow the whistle and walk over there.
By definition, this ends the "quiet" part.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Chuck, this ain't a freaking NCAA game. It's a kid's game that you're trying to work alone.
I don't think it matters what kind of game it is. You can't use the "exact" same skills and techniques when you're across the floor. That's my only point.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
By definition, this ends the "quiet" part.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmmm, not sure what that's supposed to mean, Mick. The point of the "quiet conversation" that I mentioned is NOT to draw attention to the fact that you're having it. If I have to walk across the floor (whether I blow the whistle first or not) to have the conversation, I can't help but draw attention to it. If it works for you, fine. I don't particularly like to do it.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Mick, I agree with Chuck on this. Obviously if you're table side C or T there is the potential for a coach to be talking quietly into the back of your head. This sitch requires a completely different approach than when the coach is "communicating with" (read screaming at) you from across the floor.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't think it matters what kind of game it is. You can't use the "exact" same skills and techniques when you're across the floor. That's my only point.
Well, then I disagree with your only point too. I think you can.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Hmmm, not sure what that's supposed to mean, Mick. The point of the "quiet conversation" that I mentioned is NOT to draw attention to the fact that you're having it. If I have to walk across the floor (whether I blow the whistle first or not) to have the conversation, I can't help but draw attention to it. If it works for you, fine. I don't particularly like to do it.
No official "likes to" have to walk across the floor for a quiet conversation; I have only done it a few times. Yet, it can settle a coach's concerns and get the game back on track. [But, shucks! You know this stuff better than I.]
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No official "likes to" have to walk across the floor for a quiet conversation; I have only done it a few times. Yet, it can settle a coach's concerns and get the game back on track. [But, shucks! You know this stuff better than I.]

Peace
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:34am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Mick, I agree with Chuck on this. Obviously if you're table side C or T there is the potential for a coach to be talking quietly into the back of your head. This sitch requires a completely different approach than when the coach is "communicating with" (read screaming at) you from across the floor.
Yes, Sparky.
Obviously, and certainly I agree that a coach cannot whisper across the court and still be heard. But my conversation with the coach, my game management techniques do not change merely because I crossed to the coach.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

Peace
Okay, Rut.
I confess.
Once, I walked across and quietly "whacked" a guy.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But my conversation with the coach, my game management techniques do not change merely because I crossed to the coach.
I'm sure that's true, Mick. But you can't use them when you're standing on the other side of the floor. That's my point. JR disagrees with me. For the life of me, I can't understand why.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Yes, Sparky.
Obviously, and certainly I agree that a coach cannot whisper across the court and still be heard. But my conversation with the coach, my game management techniques do not change merely because I crossed to the coach.
Well, you've pushed the encounter into a whole new level by stopping the game to confront the coach.

There are only 2 outcomes here IMO:

1. coach publicly backs down (which is fine)
2. coach gets T'ed (which is fine)
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 10:52am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Well, you've pushed the encounter into a whole new level by stopping the game to confront the coach.

There are only 2 outcomes here IMO:

1. coach publicly backs down (which is fine)
2. coach gets T'ed (which is fine)
Who pushed the encounter ? Me?
Did I confront the coach, or approach the coach, or make myself available to the coach ?
Dunno.
Closed Thread