The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 03:10pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Yeah -- it goes back to something a partner of mine once told an assistant coach: "Don't be an a$$hole!!" -- same goes for us as officials!

* Yes, I know that is not appropriate.
* But it was appropriate at the time.
* And this official could get away with it.
* And I realize that, no, I could not.
* Yes, it was a D1 game.
* No, I will not tell you who it was.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah -- it goes back to something a partner of mine once told an assistant coach: "Don't be an a$$hole!!" -- same goes for us as officials!

* Yes, I know that is not appropriate.
* But it was appropriate at the time.
* And this official could get away with it.
* And I realize that, no, I could not.
* Yes, it was a D1 game.
* No, I will not tell you who it was.
Oh, I know who it was...pick me, pick me....

Funny story and true... I can attest to that. This particular official is well known for his "colorful" use of the english language.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Jurrassic

I'm going to split hairs.

For the most part, when you reply to situations such as this, the letter of the law is how you suggest things should be handled. Now in this situation leniency is given when "the sub is only a few steps away." According to the rule posted, it should be an automatic T.

Suppose the situation happened to an official and coach for whom you assign games. When the coach calls, the rule is explained to them. Now it happens in a game with the same coach but this time it is not handled by Rule, there's going to be a coach that thinks they got the raw end of the deal.

BTW, I say if they are in the vacinity of the table, no big deal.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 03:45pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie
Oh, I know who it was...pick me, pick me....
How did I know that this post was going to bring you out of the woodworks?!?!
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 03:46pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
Go for it! But I think that over time you are going to find that this causes you more trouble than it saves you.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go for it! But I think that over time you are going to find that this causes you more trouble than it saves you.
Probably, but it is true.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 03:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

* Yes, it was a D1 game.

D1 is a completely different world. Different....everything. You really can't compare the officiating philosophies imo; same as going from grade school to elite high school games, or vice/versa. You just have to....adapt. If you don't, you're gonna have problems.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 03:53pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
D1 is a completely different world. Different....everything. You really can't compare the officiating philosophies imo; same as going from grade school to elite high school games, or vice/versa. You just have to....adapt. If you don't, you're gonna have problems.
Yeah -- but I wouldn't recommend this at any level However, for this official it worked -- and I thought it was pretty much hilarious!
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 04:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls

For the most part, when you reply to situations such as this, the letter of the law is how you suggest things should be handled. Now in this situation leniency is given when "the sub is only a few steps away." According to the rule posted, it should be an automatic T.

Suppose the situation happened to an official and coach for whom you assign games. When the coach calls, the rule is explained to them. Now it happens in a game with the same coach but this time it is not handled by Rule, there's going to be a coach that thinks they got the raw end of the deal.

BTW, I say if they are in the vacinity of the table, no big deal.
I'm not gonna split hairs.

Some situations require "letter of the law". Some don't. Some situations require "letter of the law" most of the time, but maybe not all the time. The same situation occurring under different circumstances might require a different approach. I really can't explain it except to say that you react at that specific moment in a game in a way that your experience tells you is the best way to handle that particular situation at that particular time. Howzat for wishy/washy?

As an assignor, if an official is calling it the same for both teams, even if that official is or is not following the "letter of the law", then I usually won't get any complaints from a coach. And if I do, I simply say "Hey, it was called the same at both ends. If nobody got an unfair advantage, then what complaints have you really got, Coach?". Most experienced coaches will accept that and move on. Of course, some will b!tch just for the sake of b1tching anyway.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I'm not gonna split hairs.

Some situations require "letter of the law". Some don't. Some situations require "letter of the law" most of the time, but maybe not all the time. The same situation occurring under different circumstances might require a different approach. I really can't explain it except to say that you react at that specific moment in a game in a way that your experience tells you is the best way to handle that particular situation at that particular time. Howzat for wishy/washy?

As an assignor, if an official is calling it the same for both teams, even if that official is or is not following the "letter of the law", then I usually won't get any complaints from a coach. And if I do, I simply say "Hey, it was called the same at both ends. If nobody got an unfair advantage, then what complaints have you really got, Coach?". Most experienced coaches will accept that and move on. Of course, some will b!tch just for the sake of b1tching anyway.

We are in agreement