The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

This year I will take at least one side panel and one no panel to each game, along with a backup no panel in case one of my partners brings only a panel and the other guy brings only a no panel. We'll decide in the room if its worth messing with, but I learned long ago to prepare for mis packing, even amoung partners. In football, I take an extra short sleeved shirt in case, and this has happened, one guy brings only long sleeved in September in Texas.

Now, the question is, if everyone insists on wearing their own brought shirt, do I wear the panel or no panel? Does it matter if its a college or HS game?

(Note: please don't take this branched discussion seriously!)
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
There's no "approved" shirt in MA. Stripes with the IAABO and MSAABO patches is all that's required. No flag required, although many individuals (mostly college guys) wear one.

The "wide band" shirt has not been approved or disapproved in MA. To each his own. As you yourself might say, "Live free or die".
Isn't that normal for Mass? Wear whatever you want, do whatever you want, nothings approved by the state.... Hows the tunnel? Talk about "Live Free or Die"
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Actually, truth be told, I did buy a new gear "bag."

Here it is:
That's my whistle -- and I'm sticking to it!
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 11:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Approved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
Isn't that normal for Mass? Wear whatever you want, do whatever you want, nothings approved by the state.... Hows the tunnel? Talk about "Live Free or Die"
Not trying to be funny, but someone has to "approve" a shirt for officials to wear? I thought the only requirement was to have a striped black and white shirt? I did not realize that there was much difference between shirts after that. Now I understand if someone says these shirts are not approved, but considering there are many types of striped shirts, I am not sure anyone is going to care what kind of shirt is used. I bet most officials do not even know there is a difference between the shirts with the panels and the shirts without the panels. I just bought two college panel shirts and wore them at a couple of camps. No one said a word to me about them at the camps I attended one way or the other. And I do not live in Massachusetts either.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Not trying to be funny, but someone has to "approve" a shirt for officials to wear? I thought the only requirement was to have a striped black and white shirt? I did not realize that there was much difference between shirts after that. Now I understand if someone says these shirts are not approved, but considering there are many types of striped shirts, I am not sure anyone is going to care what kind of shirt is used. I bet most officials do not even know there is a difference between the shirts with the panels and the shirts without the panels. I just bought two college panel shirts and wore them at a couple of camps. No one said a word to me about them at the camps I attended one way or the other. And I do not live in Massachusetts either.

Peace
I guess it all depends on your observers. In my area, they don't want to see us wearing the panel shirts unless all three (or two in some cases) are wearing them.

I agree with you that most officials don't even know there is a difference.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not trying to be funny, but someone has to "approve" a shirt for officials to wear? I thought the only requirement was to have a striped black and white shirt? I did not realize that there was much difference between shirts after that. Now I understand if someone says these shirts are not approved, but considering there are many types of striped shirts, I am not sure anyone is going to care what kind of shirt is used. I bet most officials do not even know there is a difference between the shirts with the panels and the shirts without the panels. I just bought two college panel shirts and wore them at a couple of camps. No one said a word to me about them at the camps I attended one way or the other. And I do not live in Massachusetts either. JRutledge
I guess the question to ask, if no one said anything about the shirt, Did you get picked up?
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 07:39am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Nah! They move it to any location for you. That sure beats hauling it from place to place. I'm still trying to get it monogrammed correctly, so far they aren't enjoying my ideas.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
Isn't that normal for Mass? Wear whatever you want, do whatever you want, nothings approved by the state....
I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or if you have a real problem with MA officials. (If you're trying to be funny, it didn't work.) But in either case, it's not true that "nothings [sic] approved by the state". The MA IAABO board (MSAABO) approves all the mechanics we use (which differ from the IAABO mechanics manual) and several rules that differ from the FED rulebook.

We also can't wear whatever we want. However, there is no approved or disapproved style of shirt. As long it is a black-and-white striped shirt, it's ok. Technically, I think a Byron shirt (with the IAABO and MSAABO patches) would be ok; but I haven't seen one in years, thankfully.

Quote:
Hows the tunnel? Talk about "Live Free or Die"
The tunnel is a disgrace. Is that news to you? I don't get the point of bringing that up.

Sorry if my post rubbed you the wrong way. It wasn't intended that way.

Last edited by ChuckElias; Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:51am.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem with Mass. In fact, I used to live in Boston and started my college career in Boston as well.

In NH, as far as the shirts go, if we want to get varsity (HS) games they have to be approved by the state or IAABO #32. That is our governing body that approves or disapproves our uniform. For example, last year, Honigs made a mistake with the IAABO Grey & Black shirts. They put the red & black IAABO patch (used on the back and white shirts) on the Grey & Black shirts, rather than the black & white patch supposed to be used. It was 32 that made the conclusion we are not allowed to use the red & black patches on the grey shirt. I don't know of anyone that has been fined for using it, but they do make the rules we have in place for just the case.

They also made the rule for us that we HAVE to wear the flag on the back below the collar. That is required for all HS Varsity & JV matches.

A few of us up here in NH, still have the original solid grey uniform from way back when... and up until two years ago, we could use that uniform for any game, but not anymore.

Point of this post is, yes, in NH, our shirts have to be approved by the state board or the HS refs don't get the games they want. As far as college, I don't know of them approving or disapproving shirts as long as they are black and white.

And no, we can't wear the Byron collar shirts and I am glad of that. I don't like the look of the collar shirts, I prefer the V-Neck.