The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Season, New Gear... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27616-new-season-new-gear.html)

tjones1 Mon Jul 31, 2006 07:44am

New Season, New Gear...

Well I tried searching this topic and didn't have any luck. I remember posting something like this last year. Never-the-less, the new season is almost upon us... anyone have any new gear they are waiting to trying out?

For me, I've added the Honig's Pro-Soft shirt. I almost got a Dolfin whistle, but my previous posts on here got the better of me.

M&M Guy Mon Jul 31, 2006 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
Well I tried searching this topic and didn't have any luck. I remember posting something like this last year. Never-the-less, the new season is almost upon us... anyone have any new gear they are waiting to trying out?

For me, I've added the Honig's Pro-Soft shirt. I almost got a Dolfin whistle, but my previous posts on here got the better of me.

Are you getting a new shipping crate to bring with you to games? ;)

26 Year Gap Mon Jul 31, 2006 07:52pm

I was tempted on the dolphin, but got some fox40 CMG whistles instead. The mouth guards do not show the teeth marks as readily. The down side is that whistles with teeth marks, just like pencils with teeth marks, tend not to be borrowed. :D

Texas Aggie Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:26pm

I've got football gear to deal with now, but I did get a pair of New Balance running shoes I'm going to wear next hoops season. I was going to break them in at a local clinic a few weeks ago, but the clinic got cancelled. So, I'll get them on the floor soon enough.

Before the season starts, I'll have a few side panel shirts, enough pants to fill out 4 or 5 full unis, and at least 2 extra pairs of under armour tights/shirts and briefs. I probably need a few more pairs of socks. The underwear stuff lasts for about 2 years max on my schedule, I've found. So I just keep adding small amounts each year. Whistles and lanyards are a dime a dozen. I pick up 3 or 4 each at a time.

The big purchase this year (for football initially) will be the roller bag. Last year, I got by with an older duffle style but I need more room and want something to hold up to wear and tear a bit better.

By the way: any recommendations on a roller bag?

tjones1 Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Are you getting a new shipping crate to bring with you to games? ;)

No, I saw your bag wasn't very full last February. Therefore, I'm hiring your bag to carry the rest of my stuff! Looks like I'll be seeing a lot of you this season! :D

bob jenkins Tue Aug 01, 2006 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
By the way: any recommendations on a roller bag?

Go to your local big box store and buy whatever's on sale.

Yes, you might have to replace it sooner than you would a "name officiating brand" bag. But, it will cost less than 1/2 the price (and in my experience you won't replace it twice as often).

ChuckElias Tue Aug 01, 2006 09:34am

I agree with Bob about the bag. I may try to replace mine this year.

Just a question. What's the deal with the wide side panel shirts? Does anybody really think they look that much better than a normal shirt? Personally, I think they look kind of odd. You've got 1" stripes all around the shirt, except for this HUGE stripe right under your armpit.

REFVA Tue Aug 01, 2006 09:44am

I just purchased a pair of black Huarache 64 all black. looks and feels real good. I spent more than I wanted to but they feel great..

REFVA Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:29am

Quote:

What's the deal with the wide side panel shirts? Does anybody really think they look that much better than a normal shirt? Personally, I think they look kind of odd.ChuckElias
I thought that it was a standard in Collegiate Officiating

JRutledge Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFVA
I thought that it was a standard in Collegiate Officiating

Not necessarily. There are many officials that do not wear them.

Peace

REFVA Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:39am

How do handle when three officials on a game and not all wear same shirt?

JRutledge Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:15am

Quote:

How do you handle it any other time? You go out and work the game. I rarely ever see three officials with the exact same shirt anyway. Not sure why we would make a big deal about it now?

Peace

ChuckElias Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:15am

Quote:

What's to handle? You gonna make one of them sit out? You do the game. :shrug:

REFVA Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:23am

Well at the high school level, we don't have that issue, But I would think at the collegiate level you at least want to look uniform. It's just a question, Don't bite my head off.

ChuckElias Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:35am

Didn't mean to bite your head off. I'm just wondering what you think could be done about it? How would you suggest "handling" it?