The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

couple questions

1st i know the rule for the backcourt 10sec. violation -- where the ball must be touched in the front court before the 10 count or its a violation but i would like to know how many call a 10sec violation if ball is in the air on 10 and if you give half a second or second leeway in such a situation or do you go by the rule and call the 10sec. violation.

Second on an inbounds player has 5 seconds to release the ball or have it touched inbounds -- a partner yesterday was adamant that the ball had to be touched inbounds before the 5 count

he had a similar notion on closely guarded that just because the player passed it had to be to his teammate before 5. I disagreed on both these -- and even the 10 second call and said i would give the players an opportunity and an extra second if the ball was in the air towards the front court before i would call a 10sec. violation.

I looked up the rule for the 5 count and i was right -- and forgot to do the same for the closely guarded one. any help on these?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

deecee,

I don't call a 10 second violation if the ball has been released and it does get to the frontcourt. This is one of those rules you can bend a bit.
You avoid blowing the whistle and no one (except you) knows you were at 10 seconds anyway.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

• 1st i know the rule for the backcourt 10sec. violation -- where the ball must be touched in the front court before the 10 count or its a violation but i would like to know how many call a 10sec violation if ball is in the air on 10 and if you give half a second or second leeway in such a situation or do you go by the rule and call the 10sec. violation.

I have never blown the whistle while the ball was in mid-flight going into the front court. However, if the pass were coming from deep in the backcourt and I was already at 9 when he released it I could see myself whistling for 10 second violation while the ball was in flight. But the situation has never come up for me.
  • he had a similar notion on closely guarded that just because the player passed it had to be to his teammate before 5. I disagreed

Next time you work with this partner please show him a rulebook.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the replies -- i am going to have to do that as he was arguing that a rule is a rule is a rule and thats it...
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
1st i know the rule for the backcourt 10sec. violation -- where the ball must be touched in the front court before the 10 count or its a violation but i would like to know how many call a 10sec violation if ball is in the air on 10 and if you give half a second or second leeway in such a situation or do you go by the rule and call the 10sec. violation.
1. The ball doesn't have to be touched by a player in the front court for the count to cease. It merely has to gain fc status. Bouncing on the floor in the frontcourt fulfills that requirement.

2. I do whistle the violation if the pass is in the air and my count reaches 10. I feel that to do otherwise is unfair to the defense. They worked hard, did their job, and deserve that call.

Of course, I am aware that others do not enforce the rule so precisely, but that is their choice and they have to explain themselves to their assignors.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 07:51pm.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

2. I do whistle the violation if the pass is in the air and my count reaches 10. I feel that to do otherwise is unfair to the defense. The worked hard, did their job, and deserve that call.

Of course, I am aware that others do not enforce the rule so precisely, but that is their choice and they have to explain themselves to their assignors.
Well, I know one assignor that might pat 'em on the head, say attaboy and maybe buy 'em a brownpop.

Do you really call it that way every time? No exceptions?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

I do my best to make the same calls for both teams.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I do my best to make the same calls for both teams.
I do, too. But once a team gets down by 30, I seem to enter a time warp where my count slows waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down for some reason. . .
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I do, too. But once a team gets down by 30, I seem to enter a time warp where my count slows waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down for some reason. . .
Attaboy!

Want a brownpop?
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Attaboy!

Want a brownpop?
Not even remotely. Blech.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 10:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Not even remotely. Blech.
Don't give me that. We know better..........
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

The picture is a forgery. Somebody put my head on the body of a different official. That's obviously not my body in the shot.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The picture is a forgery. Somebody put my head on the body of a different official. That's obviously not my body in the shot.
How can you tell? That's a strategically-placed Old Style can.

Come to think of it, I believe that's the first time I've ever used "strategically-placed" and "Old Style" in the same sentance.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I believe that's the first time I've ever used "strategically-placed" and "Old Style" in the same sentance.
LOL, literally
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 01:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
How can you tell? That's a strategically-placed Old Style can.
Ron Jeremy don't use no beer cans.

He uses beer kegs.