The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you to all men and women who have the courage to become an Official at any level. I really admire everyone who is willing to put up with fans and coaches yelling, so that thousands of kids have the chance to play basketball.

My two questions are these: When a player is inbounding the ball under the basket...when is he/she allowed to run the baseline, and is this illegal on the sideline?

also, i was at a division II men's basketball game today, and i saw a former teacher of mine who was once a terrific basketball official, and i asked if "carrying" the ball was an actual call. He said that the call no longer exists, but rather that its traveling, because the player who "carries" the ball is actually stopping the dribble but still continues to run. During the second half of the men's game one of the three officials blows his whislte and calls carrying the ball on the guard while making a motion like an over and back call.
so, is carrying still an actual call, or is it traveling?

thanks
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally posted by OfficialFan
When a player is inbounding the ball under the basket...when is he/she allowed to run the baseline, and is this illegal on the sideline?
After a made basket.

(Im sure others will add to this)

Quote:
During the second half of the men's game one of the three officials blows his whislte and calls carrying the ball on the guard while making a motion like an over and back call.
so, is carrying still an actual call, or is it traveling?

The official got it right. That is the correct mechanic for palming or "carrying".
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

1- Only in the end line after a made basket. If the defense fouls or violates and the ball stays on the end line, then they can still run.

2- Your friend is incorrect. Carrying/palming is still a violation.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
There was a brief time several years ago where they did away with the carry/palming the ball mechanic and had travel only. The officials continued to make the call so it was re-instated.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you to all men and women who have the courage to become an Official at any level. I really admire everyone who is willing to put up with fans and coaches yelling, so that thousands of kids have the chance to play basketball.

Official Fan,

Thanks for the kind words. We get so much of the 'other stuff' most of the time, I'm not sure we would know how to react if every fan was a perfect gentleman or lady at every game. I'm sure it would be a 'Twilight Zone' experiance.

Maybe you could share your understanding with others, who then might share it with others, who would share... Wheww! Ok! I'm awake now. Just a momentary slip into dreamland there. Probably not going to happen, but then who knows?

Welcome aboard.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 02:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Burns

Quote:
When a player is inbounding the ball under the basket...when is he/she allowed to run the baseline, and is this illegal on the sideline?
After a made basket.

[/B]
"Or awarded basket- goaltending or basket interference."--Other
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Burns

Quote:
After a made basket.

"Or awarded basket- goaltending or basket interference."--Other [/B]
Thats what I was looking for. Thanks Other.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

To expand on the "palming/carrying" call.

It is a violation, however the violation is for a form of double dribble, not for a form of traveling. When the ball comes to rest, the dribble has ended, and to dribble again is a violation.

The signal is the palming/carrying one just to clarify (otherwise we'd have people screaming about the dribble not ending).