The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   couple questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/27341-couple-questions.html)

deecee Thu Jul 06, 2006 03:18pm

couple questions

1st i know the rule for the backcourt 10sec. violation -- where the ball must be touched in the front court before the 10 count or its a violation but i would like to know how many call a 10sec violation if ball is in the air on 10 and if you give half a second or second leeway in such a situation or do you go by the rule and call the 10sec. violation.

Second on an inbounds player has 5 seconds to release the ball or have it touched inbounds -- a partner yesterday was adamant that the ball had to be touched inbounds before the 5 count

he had a similar notion on closely guarded that just because the player passed it had to be to his teammate before 5. I disagreed on both these -- and even the 10 second call and said i would give the players an opportunity and an extra second if the ball was in the air towards the front court before i would call a 10sec. violation.

I looked up the rule for the 5 count and i was right -- and forgot to do the same for the closely guarded one. any help on these?

Jay R Thu Jul 06, 2006 04:03pm

deecee,

I don't call a 10 second violation if the ball has been released and it does get to the frontcourt. This is one of those rules you can bend a bit.
You avoid blowing the whistle and no one (except you) knows you were at 10 seconds anyway.

Raymond Thu Jul 06, 2006 04:06pm

• 1st i know the rule for the backcourt 10sec. violation -- where the ball must be touched in the front court before the 10 count or its a violation but i would like to know how many call a 10sec violation if ball is in the air on 10 and if you give half a second or second leeway in such a situation or do you go by the rule and call the 10sec. violation.

I have never blown the whistle while the ball was in mid-flight going into the front court. However, if the pass were coming from deep in the backcourt and I was already at 9 when he released it I could see myself whistling for 10 second violation while the ball was in flight. But the situation has never come up for me.
  • he had a similar notion on closely guarded that just because the player passed it had to be to his teammate before 5. I disagreed

Next time you work with this partner please show him a rulebook. :cool:

deecee Thu Jul 06, 2006 04:47pm

thanks for the replies -- i am going to have to do that as he was arguing that a rule is a rule is a rule and thats it...

Nevadaref Thu Jul 06, 2006 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
1st i know the rule for the backcourt 10sec. violation -- where the ball must be touched in the front court before the 10 count or its a violation but i would like to know how many call a 10sec violation if ball is in the air on 10 and if you give half a second or second leeway in such a situation or do you go by the rule and call the 10sec. violation.

1. The ball doesn't have to be touched by a player in the front court for the count to cease. It merely has to gain fc status. Bouncing on the floor in the frontcourt fulfills that requirement.

2. I do whistle the violation if the pass is in the air and my count reaches 10. I feel that to do otherwise is unfair to the defense. They worked hard, did their job, and deserve that call.

Of course, I am aware that others do not enforce the rule so precisely, but that is their choice and they have to explain themselves to their assignors.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jul 06, 2006 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref

2. I do whistle the violation if the pass is in the air and my count reaches 10. I feel that to do otherwise is unfair to the defense. The worked hard, did their job, and deserve that call.

Of course, I am aware that others do not enforce the rule so precisely, but that is their choice and they have to explain themselves to their assignors.

Well, I know one assignor that might pat 'em on the head, say attaboy and maybe buy 'em a brownpop.:)

Do you really call it that way <b>every</b> time? No exceptions?

Nevadaref Thu Jul 06, 2006 07:51pm

I do my best to make the same calls for both teams.

ChuckElias Fri Jul 07, 2006 08:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I do my best to make the same calls for both teams.

I do, too. But once a team gets down by 30, I seem to enter a time warp where my count slows waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down for some reason. . .

Jurassic Referee Fri Jul 07, 2006 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I do, too. But once a team gets down by 30, I seem to enter a time warp where my count slows waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down for some reason. . .

Attaboy!

Want a brownpop?
http://www.smiling-faces.com/smilies/beerpull.gif

ChuckElias Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Attaboy!

Want a brownpop?

Not even remotely. Blech.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:33am

Quote:

Not even remotely. Blech.

Don't give me that. We know better..........
http://www.comedy-zone.net/pictures/.../animal029.jpg

ChuckElias Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:04am

The picture is a forgery. Somebody put my head on the body of a different official. That's obviously not my body in the shot.

M&M Guy Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:19am

Quote:

The picture is a forgery. Somebody put my head on the body of a different official. That's obviously not my body in the shot.

How can you tell? That's a strategically-placed Old Style can.

Come to think of it, I believe that's the first time I've ever used "strategically-placed" and "Old Style" in the same sentance.

ChuckElias Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I believe that's the first time I've ever used "strategically-placed" and "Old Style" in the same sentance.

LOL, literally :D

Jurassic Referee Fri Jul 07, 2006 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
How can you tell? That's a strategically-placed Old Style can.

Ron Jeremy don't use no beer cans.

He uses beer <b>kegs</b>.