The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 11:14am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Taking the plunge!!

Will be donning the stripes for the first time this w/e at age 52. After watching 15yo son have such a good time, I was persuaded by his assigner to lend my knowledge and talent to the officiating scene. Considering I will be doing kiddie games for a while, could you comment on how much 'coaching' I can get away with during the game? I know the urge will strike and I do not want to get out of line so please let me know 'where' is the line?

Looking forward to the challenge of keeping up with my son in transition and using my stored up Davisms!

Thanks again to all who post here and share their knowledge. Without your input I would not have the confidence or rules awareness to get involved in officiating.

Wish me luck

newbierefva (nee justacoach)
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

The level of coaching really depends on the level of the players. 8th grade boys: none, 2nd grade boys: all coaching.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 12:34pm
MABO Member

Myself, I keep any comments I have toward players specific to rules knowledge. Help the kids to understand when they are violating or breaking the rules. Never get involved with strategy and skill adjustments.

Perception is reality to some, if you are seen giving "coaching" tips during a game then someone will sure a heck think you favor one team over another.

JMO

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 01:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Myself, I keep any comments I have toward players specific to rules knowledge. Help the kids to understand when they are violating or breaking the rules. Never get involved with strategy and skill adjustments.

Perception is reality to some, if you are seen giving "coaching" tips during a game then someone will sure a heck think you favor one team over another.

JMO

Smoke
I agree with that completely. Let the real coaches coach. You never know when you are telling some player sumthin' that is completely different than the way he is being coached. Telling a player what they did wrong to get called is not "coaching". It's "educating".
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater

JMO

Smoke
It is certainly appropriate to help the younger kids with the rules. This will keep you busy enough that skills and strategy coaching will not be on your mind much.

I also try to keep the game flowing well by getting the kids to the right place at the right time. It's amazing to me that no one ever seems to know whose ball it will be for the throw in, where to line up for the free throws, and when to enter (or leave) the court, or who will be shooting a free throw.

With the older kids, the speed of play will keep you occupied most often. There is always something to talk about with your partner during breaks, and plenty to watch while on the court.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I would recommend helping them with rules, (i.e., don't walk into the free-throw lanes when the shooter has the ball, where to stand for free-throws, no moving on an inbound pass on a dead ball, play the whistle, etc)

As the game progresses, depending on the situation, it isn't a bad idea to use some form of encouragement. For example, on free throws, as a lead, let them know they are doing a good job on the court. Say things like, "you guys are all doing well, way to play hard, way to play clean, good job players, etc". ) But make sure if you do decide to give some form of encouragement, be fair and not be bias. Be consistent with encouraging and helping both sides. At the grade-school level, you want the players to feel that they are holding some sort of responsibilities and that they owe apart of this game. This way, they will grow and learn not just about the rules/philosophy of basketball, but life in general.

I would also recommend doing pre-game introductions with captains to avoid further complication that may go on during the game.