The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

What is taking a sign to you?

Ok thread on eteam made me start thinking and would like some others opinions on this.

OP was about taking sign off pitchers plate, steping on plate and getting an IP called for not taking, or simulating taking a sign on the rubber.

My opinion is if the pitcher steps on the rubber hands aparts and then pauses as she is looking toward the catcher then she satisfies that part of the rule for me as PU.

So my question is what do you all look for to fulfill the "takes or simulates taking a sign"??? Is it just a pause or do you look for some type of acknowledgment from pitcher?
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
My opinion is if the pitcher steps on the (pitching plate) hands apart and then pauses as she is looking toward the catcher then she satisfies that part of the rule for me as PU.
That pretty much satisfies the rule requirement as far as I am concerned.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The key word is pause. That is the intent of "taking" or "simulating" the sign and is really all that matters. Of course, some coach will try for the technicality that the catcher never gave a sign, but just ask how he/she knows and use your death stare.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Simulating taking a sign is pausing with hand separated while on the pitcher's plate. Nothing more, nothing less. Not too complicated. Coaches are always looking for a cheap advantage to get into the opposing pitcher's head.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Simulating taking a sign is pausing with hand separated while on the pitcher's plate. Nothing more, nothing less. Not too complicated. Coaches are always looking for a cheap advantage to get into the opposing pitcher's head.
Had a coach doing exactly that in a game I worked last July in a non-championship tournament. I thought, ok, fine...

Next half inning, first runner gets a clean single to LF. Rounds first, comes back. Ball is in circle, runner is standing on orange (like I said, it was last year, couldn't do it this year) base. 1001 boom, out, coach comes unglued, asks the musical question, "How can you call chicken stuff like that?"

"Well, coach, actually..."

He's a smart coach and got my drift. Nothing more said about where pitchers took signs the rest of the game.

If they pause with hands apart, that's fine with me. The intent of the rule is to prevent quick pitching, and as long as they don't quick pitch, why should it be called??????
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=

If they pause with hands apart, that's fine with me. The intent of the rule is to prevent quick pitching, and as long as they don't quick pitch, why should it be called??????[/QUOTE]
I do the same.
But...

Why is the rule written as it is? Why not change it to:

a. Proir to pitching...

b. Pause.

c. After completing "b" ....

Why is it like a riddle ? If the intent is to prevent a quick pitch , just state it like that. JMHO