View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I would recommend helping them with rules, (i.e., don't walk into the free-throw lanes when the shooter has the ball, where to stand for free-throws, no moving on an inbound pass on a dead ball, play the whistle, etc)

As the game progresses, depending on the situation, it isn't a bad idea to use some form of encouragement. For example, on free throws, as a lead, let them know they are doing a good job on the court. Say things like, "you guys are all doing well, way to play hard, way to play clean, good job players, etc". ) But make sure if you do decide to give some form of encouragement, be fair and not be bias. Be consistent with encouraging and helping both sides. At the grade-school level, you want the players to feel that they are holding some sort of responsibilities and that they owe apart of this game. This way, they will grow and learn not just about the rules/philosophy of basketball, but life in general.

I would also recommend doing pre-game introductions with captains to avoid further complication that may go on during the game.