The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Can a player take a charge while standing under the basket?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 10:06pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by CW30
Can a player take a charge while standing under the basket?
Welcome to the forum, CW30.

Yes, a charge can be called if the contact occurs inbounds, under the basket.
Whether it will be called depends on the official, but location, specifically under the basket, is not addressed in high school hoops.
mick
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you very much sir. Next sunday at my old mans rec. league game I will be sure and tell the Missouri High School official with poor mechanics that he was wrong. Thanks again. (I knew I was right) lol.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Only if you have big enough gohonies can you take a charge under the hoop. That's a tough area to take one!
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Not only did the guy on my team take it. But the ref called a foul on him because he said you cant take a charge under the hoop. I havent officiated in 5 years and I know that you can take a charge anywhere on the court.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Let me rephrase that last sentence. I was all but certain I was correct. When I officiated I hated getting yelled at, I bet this guy gets abused when he does a game.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not only did the guy on my team take it. But the ref called a foul on him because he said you cant take a charge under the hoop. I havent officiated in 5 years and I know that you can take a charge anywhere on the court.
This statement can be true by rule for both NBA and NCAA women's games. We don't know what set of rules you are playing by, so maybe the official is not so dumb after all...
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I will put it this way, there isnt a semi circle anywhere under the basket. We play high school rules.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'd highly not recommend correcting the official next week... as a former ref you should know better.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 08:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I will put it this way, there isnt a semi circle anywhere under the basket. We play high school rules.
Well, if you're playing high school rules, this is right outa this year's high school case book:

10.6.1SITUATION C: B1 is standing behind the plane of the backboard before A1 jumps for a lay-up shot. The forward momentum causes airborne shooter A1 to charge into B1.
RULING: B1 is entitled to the position attained legally before A1 left the floor. If the ball goes through the basket before or after the contact occurs, the player-control foul cancels the basket. However, if B1 moves into the path of A1 after A1 has left the floor, the foul is on B1. B1's foul on the airborne shooter is a foul during the act of shooting. If the shot is successful, one free throw is awarded and if it is unsuccessful, two free throws result.

Dem's the rules. Iow, forget about the concept of "under the basket" or a "semi-circle" being used in high school games.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. So the ref was wrong in the beginning. Especially for calling a foul on the defender for the sole purpose that "you cant take a charge while standing under the basket". He said that it would have been a charge had the defender not been standing under the basket. Looks like I win the bet. Thanks again for everyones input.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Slow down CW30, All but one mens rec leagues I dealt with were ncaa rules, so first double check what rules you use.
Second, "I havent officiated in 5 years and I know that you can take a charge anywhere on the court." - wrong (kind of)(NCAA)
A1(on a layup)charges into B1 who is setup behind backboard, does not get a charging foul called unless the shot is missed and B1 is at a rebounding disadvantage or putting the ball in play disadvantage.

I paraphrased, but the meaning is there. My memory tells me that the way this is called allows B1 to be under the basket, and still the charge is ignored, again NCAA.

The missing semi circle has little bearing on what rules the league defined as the rule-set.

Either way, be kind to the official, or stop playing and start refereeing, you can't do both.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 10:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Slow down CW30, All but one mens rec leagues I dealt with were ncaa rules, so first double check what rules you use.
Second, "I havent officiated in 5 years and I know that you can take a charge anywhere on the court." - wrong (kind of)(NCAA)
A1(on a layup)charges into B1 who is setup behind backboard, does not get a charging foul called unless the shot is missed and B1 is at a rebounding disadvantage or putting the ball in play disadvantage.

I paraphrased, but the meaning is there. My memory tells me that the way this is called allows B1 to be under the basket, and still the charge is ignored, again NCAA.

The missing semi circle has little bearing on what rules the league defined as the rule-set.

Either way, be kind to the official, or stop playing and start refereeing, you can't do both.
Sam, you're referring to NCAA Womens rules only, right? The Women reference the circle; the NCCAA Mens rules are the same as NFHS rules, I believe.

Btw, CW30 said above that they did use high school rules.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Quote:
This statement can be true by rule for both NBA and NCAA women's games.
So many misconceptions in this thread. Jeez. It seems like I have to repeat this every single time this topic comes up. So here goes:

Even in NBA and NCAAW it is possible to draw a charge directly beneath the basket!!!! However, it's only possible on certain kinds of plays.

In the NBA:
  • the Restricted Area rules apply only to a secondary defender. The primary defender can take a charge anywhere. But the "help" defender cannot be in the semi-circle.
  • the Restricted Area rules don't apply at all if the play begins inside the Lower Defensive Box.
  • the Restricted Area rules don't allow the offensive player to use his non-shooting arm to clear space or to prevent the defender from attacking the ball. Using the arm this way would still be an offensive foul.
  • the Restricted Area rules don't mandate that any contact within the semi-circle must be called a block. The official has the discretion to no-call it.

In NCAAW:
  • A player control foul may be called directly under the basket if the play is a drive parallel to the endline.

Let's please try to understand the actual rules before we give sweeping generalities.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm

Sam, you're referring to NCAA Womens rules only, right? The Women reference the circle; the NCCAA Mens rules are the same as NFHS rules, I believe.

Btw, CW30 said above that they did use high school rules.
JR, I am at work now and going by memory from what I read last night.

NCAA Rule Book 2001 is my latest NCAA rule book. Rule 4-8
defines charging. There are 4 case plays, the first being for mens, the next 3 for womens. The first one (mens) is what I paraphrased. (edit - 2 ARs one for men and - one for women)

I will try to look up NCAA rules online and confirm or deny this post for accuracy. (edit - confirmed)

edited - AR 6 is the case play for men. AR 7 for women.
AR 6 is the same as I paraphrased above. The online NCAA rules were dated 2004.
Womens AR says under the basket.
Mens AR says behind backboard.

[Edited by SamIAm on Feb 22nd, 2006 at 09:11 AM]