View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Myself, I keep any comments I have toward players specific to rules knowledge. Help the kids to understand when they are violating or breaking the rules. Never get involved with strategy and skill adjustments.

Perception is reality to some, if you are seen giving "coaching" tips during a game then someone will sure a heck think you favor one team over another.

JMO

Smoke
It is certainly appropriate to help the younger kids with the rules. This will keep you busy enough that skills and strategy coaching will not be on your mind much.

I also try to keep the game flowing well by getting the kids to the right place at the right time. It's amazing to me that no one ever seems to know whose ball it will be for the throw in, where to line up for the free throws, and when to enter (or leave) the court, or who will be shooting a free throw.

With the older kids, the speed of play will keep you occupied most often. There is always something to talk about with your partner during breaks, and plenty to watch while on the court.