Thread: 3-MAN mechanics
View Single Post
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

3-MAN mechanics

Not really a question here but as I got my first taste of 3-man in about 2 years this past weekend I noticed a couple things.

First off we were using womens NCAA experimental mechanics (at least as it was explained to me)

I found the game easier to cover for the most part, at least it will be once i get used to it and comfortable with it, but I was so caught up in making sure I had my primary covered and trying to not cover the court like in 2-man I got eaten up by about 3 plays that I knew I f*d up, actually make it 4 plays.

The one great thing about working these games was that I got feedback from an NBA ref who was watching his daughter play and that was great. His feedback was primarily to covering the court and plays and about the mentality of officiating and what to look for before during and after contact and what not.

so lets get on to my screw ups.

1) 8 seconds left in first half -- team scores and ball counces and the girl that scores swipes the ball away. Should have called delay of game but I didnt because it was running clock and time would have run out anyway. I screwed that one up because in the second half I had a Delay on the same team and that would have been 2 shots + ball. My screw up.

2) Missed 2 illegal screens mostly because I was to close to the play and got eaten up and the fact that I was concentrating so much on my primary and get the action I am supposed to I missed the action I was supposed to -- weird huh. Said NBA ref commented on both those screens to me and said they were 100% illegal and I beleive him because I know I choked.

3) Making calls through the lane as the lead was frowned on and I did it a couple of times but I appologized -- its tough to just get unused to what you are used to so fast. Especially when I dont have that much 3-man experience (i will be going to a 3-man camp this July).

4) This was probably the worst one and I kicked myself in the arse for this one -- A1 goes up for layup between B1 and B2 -- A1 thought she was fouled and I had nothing (I was lead -- now new trail) -- apparently A1 or A2 who now entered the picture took a swing at B1 or B2 -- couple fans and said NBA ref told us what happened and I should have had that -- I knew that before he told me and I felt bad because i just stayed with the action below the basket rather that opening up and taking in all the action.

So this weekend which I entirely was not looking at working was actually very happy that I did because I got to work some good games and get great feedback and experience.