The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

up in the attic

Who can provide a little help researching an old NFHS rule? I need to know exactly what season the 2' radius circle at center court was removed from the rules. Remember that one which each jumper had to have one foot in prior to the toss? I only have rulesbooks in my possession back to 2001-02 and it disappeared before that season. So who's willing to climb up into MTD's attic and find out for me?
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 11:10pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Who can provide a little help researching an old NFHS rule? I need to know exactly what season the 2' radius circle at center court was removed from the rules. Remember that one which each jumper had to have one foot in prior to the toss? I only have rulesbooks in my possession back to 2001-02 and it disappeared before that season. So who's willing to climb up into MTD's attic and find out for me?

NevadaRef:

I can't do it right now. BUT, if no one has researched an answer for you by 03:30pm, I will climb up in my attic and get the answer for you. I would like to do it now, but really can't do it any earlier that 03:30pm today. Out of idle curosity, what pray tell prompted this inquiry?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a couple of championship games at a local AAU tournament today with a good friend of mine on a court which still had the little circle. I remarked to him that the federation had done away with the rule that required it and his response was something to the effect of "Really? How long ago was that?" I guessed about eight years, but told him that I would find out for sure.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

It was pre-1998-99. I have the ARS rule books stored on my computer back to that season. The 2' radius circle does not appear in the diagram, nor is it listed as a change for that year.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

The oldest rulebook I have is 99-00 and it does NOT have the 2 foot circle in it, it also does not list it as a rule change. I know that's somewhat redundant of what Tony said but I just thought I'd share too.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

According to the "Chronology of Basketball Rules" in the Basketball Handbook, which is genuinely fascinating reading, the two-foot center circle was deleted in 1995. I assume that's the '95-96 season, but don't know for sure.

It was the same season that the "double bonus", the three-tenths of a second rule, airborne-defender exception to over and back, and disqualifying bench personnel who leave the bench area for a fight rules were added.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 07:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
According to the "Chronology of Basketball Rules" in the Basketball Handbook, which is genuinely fascinating reading, the two-foot center circle was deleted in 1995. I assume that's the '95-96 season, but don't know for sure.

It was the same season that the "double bonus", the three-tenths of a second rule, airborne-defender exception to over and back, and disqualifying bench personnel who leave the bench area for a fight rules were added.
I think I'm going to add an "airborne defender" exception to the over the back rule this year.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I think I'm going to add an "airborne defender" exception to the over the back rule this year.
I like it. I can see how it will make my job easier:

Coach: He's going over my guy's back.
Me: He's airborne, Coach. That's legal this year.
Coach: Jaw hits the floor, mutters incoherently.
Asst. Coach, to Coach: It's okay. You can still whine about 3 seconds.
Coach: Smiles confidently and goes back to coaching.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
The oldest rulebook I have is 99-00 and it does NOT have the 2 foot circle in it, it also does not list it as a rule change. I know that's somewhat redundant of what Tony said but I just thought I'd share too.
Thanks snake. Don't know what we would have done without that little tidbit.

Been drinking again, eh?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the answer guys.
I actually have the 2002-04 handbook, but never thought of looking in it for this. And BITS is right, it is actually a good read. Lots of interesting stuff.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Thanks snake. Don't know what we would have done without that little tidbit.

Been drinking again, eh?
Not quite. I got the rulebook out and I didn't want to feel like I did it for nothing.