The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
need some feedback

I would like to know the opinion of my call in a high school boys summer league game.

Tie game: Team A's best player drives the baseline, takes a couple of steps and lowers his shoulder into a defender. Defense wants an offensive foul to foul out the player. Offense thinks it is a shooting foul, thinking defender was not in position. I made the right call.... a travel....The offensive player throws the ball into the corner about 20 feet away. Subs are coming in , there are only 8 seconds left and I ask the player to go get the ball for me please. He looks at me and says, "Go get it yourself!"........With only 8 seconds left, I give him a technical foul. Team B makes the free throws, then gets ball, gets fouled and makes two more free throws to ice the game.

My question is, was I too overzealous in giving a T in that situation? After I think about it, I probably could have ignored it, but when the kid said to go get the ball myself, I just reacted.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AZ_REF
In this situation I would have whacked him when he threw the ball away. But if you're going to let him do that and ask him to get it and he talks back, whack him then. Good call IMO.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 07:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have no problem wiht the call. As stated earlier, I probably would have T'd the player when they threw the ball. I can also understand why you asked him to get the ball as well. You did good Dave.

Peace
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I hope the player will think twice about talking back to the officials next season when the real season starts so maybe I helped him out after all !
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 08:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
Thanks for the quick replies. I hope the player will think twice about talking back to the officials next season when the real season starts so maybe I helped him out after all !
It is summer league; this is a time to learn for everyone.

Peace
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I would like to know the opinion of my call in a high school boys summer league game.

Tie game: Team A's best player drives the baseline, takes a couple of steps and lowers his shoulder into a defender. Defense wants an offensive foul to foul out the player. Offense thinks it is a shooting foul, thinking defender was not in position. I made the right call.... a travel....The offensive player throws the ball into the corner about 20 feet away. Subs are coming in , there are only 8 seconds left and I ask the player to go get the ball for me please. He looks at me and says, "Go get it yourself!"........With only 8 seconds left, I give him a technical foul. Team B makes the free throws, then gets ball, gets fouled and makes two more free throws to ice the game.

My question is, was I too overzealous in giving a T in that situation? After I think about it, I probably could have ignored it, but when the kid said to go get the ball myself, I just reacted.
hmmm...summer league game...stop the game to tell the coach he needs another player, your little friend needs to leave.

If the coach is smart & sends in a sub, play on.

If not T A1 up. Might as well DQ him at that point as well.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Like others have said here, I too agree that you made the right call with the T. I can understand why you didn't T the player up when he threw the ball because of the time of the game, etc., but I don't think anyone in the gym would've questioned you if you made the call then. Just food for thought.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

They questioned it all right! It was stuff like "how can you call a T to decide a game....that's ridiculous, you need to go back to junior high games....etc. etc....!
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They questioned it all right! It was stuff like "how can you call a T to decide a game....that's ridiculous, you need to go back to junior high games....etc. etc....!
With comments like these, you know you made the right call.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How can you travel with 8 seconds left? How can you throw the ball away and get a T when your team is only down 2 points? How can you be so boneheaded that you cost your team a chance to win?

Oh, did I yell that back at those knuckleheads? bad...bad...
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

I agree great call. As JR mentioned summer league is a place for everyone to tune up skills. That will teach that player not to mouth off anytime. Learn some respect.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You did right. You didn't decide the game, the player decided the game when he committed an obvious technical foul.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I should print this thread and hand it to the coach next time I see him!
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 07:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I should print this thread and hand it to the coach next time I see him!
He'll just think we're a bunch of Jr. High refs.
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

How could you call that travel with 8 seconds left?
A: Teach your son proper footwork.

How could you give us a T to decide the game?
A: I only give what people earn.

How can you be so boneheaded that you cost blue team a chance to win?
A: I didn't cost blue anything -- what cost blue the game was poor sportsmanship.

Or you could just tell them to F*** off