The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   need some feedback (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/26714-need-some-feedback.html)

dave30 Wed May 24, 2006 07:32pm

need some feedback

I would like to know the opinion of my call in a high school boys summer league game.

Tie game: Team A's best player drives the baseline, takes a couple of steps and lowers his shoulder into a defender. Defense wants an offensive foul to foul out the player. Offense thinks it is a shooting foul, thinking defender was not in position. I made the right call.... a travel....The offensive player throws the ball into the corner about 20 feet away. Subs are coming in , there are only 8 seconds left and I ask the player to go get the ball for me please. He looks at me and says, "Go get it yourself!"........With only 8 seconds left, I give him a technical foul. Team B makes the free throws, then gets ball, gets fouled and makes two more free throws to ice the game.

My question is, was I too overzealous in giving a T in that situation? After I think about it, I probably could have ignored it, but when the kid said to go get the ball myself, I just reacted.

AZ_REF Wed May 24, 2006 07:52pm

In this situation I would have whacked him when he threw the ball away. But if you're going to let him do that and ask him to get it and he talks back, whack him then. Good call IMO.

JRutledge Wed May 24, 2006 07:56pm

I have no problem wiht the call. As stated earlier, I probably would have T'd the player when they threw the ball. I can also understand why you asked him to get the ball as well. You did good Dave.

Peace

dave30 Wed May 24, 2006 08:06pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I hope the player will think twice about talking back to the officials next season when the real season starts so maybe I helped him out after all !

JRutledge Wed May 24, 2006 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave30
Thanks for the quick replies. I hope the player will think twice about talking back to the officials next season when the real season starts so maybe I helped him out after all !

It is summer league; this is a time to learn for everyone.

Peace

Dan_ref Wed May 24, 2006 09:50pm

Quote:

I would like to know the opinion of my call in a high school boys summer league game.

Tie game: Team A's best player drives the baseline, takes a couple of steps and lowers his shoulder into a defender. Defense wants an offensive foul to foul out the player. Offense thinks it is a shooting foul, thinking defender was not in position. I made the right call.... a travel....The offensive player throws the ball into the corner about 20 feet away. Subs are coming in , there are only 8 seconds left and I ask the player to go get the ball for me please. He looks at me and says, "Go get it yourself!"........With only 8 seconds left, I give him a technical foul. Team B makes the free throws, then gets ball, gets fouled and makes two more free throws to ice the game.

My question is, was I too overzealous in giving a T in that situation? After I think about it, I probably could have ignored it, but when the kid said to go get the ball myself, I just reacted.

hmmm...summer league game...stop the game to tell the coach he needs another player, your little friend needs to leave.

If the coach is smart & sends in a sub, play on.

If not T A1 up. Might as well DQ him at that point as well.

Dribble Wed May 24, 2006 10:03pm

Like others have said here, I too agree that you made the right call with the T. I can understand why you didn't T the player up when he threw the ball because of the time of the game, etc., but I don't think anyone in the gym would've questioned you if you made the call then. Just food for thought.

dave30 Thu May 25, 2006 02:26am

They questioned it all right! It was stuff like "how can you call a T to decide a game....that's ridiculous, you need to go back to junior high games....etc. etc....!

dblref Thu May 25, 2006 06:06am

Quote:

They questioned it all right! It was stuff like "how can you call a T to decide a game....that's ridiculous, you need to go back to junior high games....etc. etc....!

With comments like these, you know you made the right call.:D

Nevadaref Thu May 25, 2006 06:15am

Quote:

How can you travel with 8 seconds left? How can you throw the ball away and get a T when your team is only down 2 points? How can you be so boneheaded that you cost your team a chance to win?

Oh, did I yell that back at those knuckleheads? :D bad...bad...

REFVA Thu May 25, 2006 06:48am

I agree great call. As JR mentioned summer league is a place for everyone to tune up skills. That will teach that player not to mouth off anytime. Learn some respect.

Snake~eyes Thu May 25, 2006 01:07pm

Quote:

You did right. You didn't decide the game, the player decided the game when he committed an obvious technical foul.

dave30 Thu May 25, 2006 02:27pm

I should print this thread and hand it to the coach next time I see him!:D

Adam Thu May 25, 2006 07:43pm

Quote:

I should print this thread and hand it to the coach next time I see him!:D

He'll just think we're a bunch of Jr. High refs. ;)

deecee Fri May 26, 2006 03:29pm

How could you call that travel with 8 seconds left?
A: Teach your son proper footwork.

How could you give us a T to decide the game?
A: I only give what people earn.

How can you be so boneheaded that you cost blue team a chance to win?
A: I didn't cost blue anything -- what cost blue the game was poor sportsmanship.

Or you could just tell them to F*** off :p